SCORM & LMS - Embedding a Hype Element

You're probably here because you're curious whether Hype animations can be used within your LMS or SCORM-enabled system. The Answer is yes. One popular LMS system which has a super easy embed method is Moodle. Read our documentation here.

Update September 2022: Please visit this thread for an incredible effort + Hype Export script + integration for xAPI: Hype xAPI (Experience API previously Tin Can API)

There's a couple tools which our users have brought to our attention that makes the process for embedding documents in the SCORM format easier:

The Tin Can API

The Tin Can API is a popular framework to track events within HTML content. The 'TinCanAPI' file at the bottom of this page shows an example event that runs 'On Scene Load', and logs data with the API. This is not a working document, but shows one method of embedding the required JavaScript, and the use of JavaScript events for Hype interactions.

Example Files

TinCanAPI.hype.zip (32.8 KB) manifest-file-generator.zip (174.8 KB)

6 Likes

Hi Daniel. I’m a new user with hype, and i’m really happy with the results. For now I’m looking the way to ZIP SCORM contents from Tumult Hype and i’d like to know more about this process. I downloaded the TinCan API but i’m not sure how to use it.

Do you have a detailed guided for new users like me? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Ivan:

This is a pretty old ‘best practices’ guide which now is likely obsolete, but I am in communication with someone right now to help me get it back up to speed.

What LMS service are you working with? The way a Hype document fits into a LMS service, or within a ‘scorm wrapper’ is as a regular HTML webpage. You can setup hooks that are triggered after a scene has been viewed, or in response to a button click. Usually those types of hooks are provided by your LMS and can be pasted within your Hype document and run ‘On Scene Unload’ or something like that.

Some SCORM-based systems really want to know what images and assets are within your embedded HTML page, which is there the Manifest file generator comes in. I assume platforms have a varying strictness around this.

Hi Dan.
It’s a little complicated, we’re going to purchase a new platform based in Blackboard, I’m not sure about the version, that’s on the chief’s hands hahahaha.

For now, I’m looking for the best way to translate our very old contents and Hype has been a really cool solution; but if we could export that contents in a SCORM standard i’ll be so much better.

If you come across documentation for using web content in the new Blackboard environment I'd be happy to see it. A lot of that information is locked up in paid accounts so I don't really have the voodoo skills to assume how Hype's export can be twisted to fit into that platform. (Feel free to PM -- I'm looking into SCORM now and any new info is helpful!)

My assumption is that for a SCORM element to tie into a system like Blackboard, or other SCORM-friendly systems one would need to load the platforms JavaScript API in the <head> of the document, and run JavaScript functions after content has been viewed, buttons clicked, or other actions taken. How the actual files of the Hype export need to be packaged is still not clear, but the manifest generator used to be what was required. This manifest file in the form of an XML file essentially says

'this HTML content is represented by filename.html and there are these three images and two JavaScript files also required to load the content.`

Different LMSs have varying strictness over the completeness of this "manifest"...

3 posts were split to a new topic: Embedding a Hype Element in TalentLMS (iframe)

Hi Daniel – does this post represent the latest thinking with regards to wrapping Hype files in SCORM? It seems as though we can easily use a manifest generator to help the content identify itself as SCORM to the LMS, but then the harder work is to create Javascript events that trigger in response to course activity.

I found this really good series on how SCORM works at a basic level, explaining the main API calls that it makes and giving example code that demonstrates common learning events:

I’m still on my way up the learning curve on this though, so please let me know if you’ve made progress on SCORMifying Hype content.

Thanks!
Ted

1 Like

Hello! I use hype for e-learning courses. I integrate it with iframe into rise, ispring and other systems, but i want create courses without these systems. I want pack my courses to scorm. Who can help with it?

Hi @papacarlos
Jeff Batt created a Udemy course on how to prepare and wrap your Hype export file in a scorm wrapper. This is the link. It will take a little work on your part, but it may just be worth it.

xAPI is the updated version of Scorm though. We have created an export script/extension for incorporating the use of xAPI. It is a lot more powerful and flexible than Scorm. This is the link to the forum post with links to documentation and tutorials: Hype xAPI (Experience API previously Tin Can API)

1 Like

@daniel the second link in this post is dead.

1 Like

You can also go direct to all the docs for the xAPI extension/export script here: https://www.hypexapi.de

Ok. I need master for money.

1. Is there someone who ready pack projects to SCORM 2004, 1.2 and xApi?
  2. Also i need tests (multiple choice, single choice).

If somebody ready, please write me.

I am a developer for the DoD and love hype. Beats animate. SCORM was created by ADL inliu with my office over at General Dynamics. See the following link for more info. I am actually working on some example for easy use in an LMS.

[Technical guide to SCORM 2004: A developer's guide to SCORM 2004]

2 Likes

Hi Joshua

Just re-reading your post again. Are you trying to create a package that is seen by an LMS like it is a SCORM or IMS package?

G'day Herman.
I'm still on the hunt for something that will easily wrap a Hype package in SCORM / xAPI.
Is there any new documentation / working examples anywhere that you're aware of?
Cheers
JR

Hi John.

You will have to manually wrap Hype into a SCORM package. I was thinking of setting something like that up, SCORM (although ubiquitous) is 'old' technology in my opinion. My opinion doesn't help you though. This course shows you how to do it: https://www.udemy.com/course/track-any-html5-content-with-custom-scorm/?referralCode=07484CCA906B3E607DA8

CMI5 is the new-generation wrapper that utilises more XAPI statements than SCORM, but for that you will have to be in an LMS that can recognise these statements. I think you may find documentation on how to wrap the Hype object in an CMi5 somewhere. Sorry, I don't know off-hand.

The extension we developed for Hype utilises xAPI in its native form and requires an LRS to leverage that data. Using SCORM or cmi5 is like going to the zoo. All the animals are neatly packaged, while using xAPI is like pitching a tent in African Savannah plains. :crazy_face:

Good luck with your journey and let me know if you stumble on something. There is a good chance that ChatGPT or the like will be able to help. If not already, very soon.

Cheers

1 Like

Hello! This link doesn't work. Where I can buy this course?

Hi Alexey. The link seems to work for me, but here is a screenshot of the Udemy course. You will find it there.

1 Like