SCORM & LMS - Embedding a Hype Element

knowledgebase

You’re probably here because you’re curious whether Hype animations can be used within your LMS or SCORM-enabled system. The Answer is yes. There’s a couple tools which our users have brought to our attention that makes this process easier:

SCORM Manifest File Generators - Dreamweaver Extension & Grunt

Many of our users have successfully embedded Tumult Hype documents within Learning Management Systems (LMS), which use the SCORM system. Part of the process of embedding content within SCORM is creating a manifest file of all resources used in the SCORM wrapper. The extension on this page can be used to create a manifest file based on Hype resources.

You can also find a Grunt task on this page for automatically generating a Manifest file. (Github repo here)

If you have questions about working with Tumult Hype documents in a SCORM environment, Michael Frost at Elearningproducts.com.au has experience with this process.

The Tin Can API

The Tin Can API is a popular framework to track events within HTML content. The ‘TinCanAPI’ file at the bottom of this page shows an example event that runs ‘On Scene Load’, and log data with the API. This is not a working document, but shows one method of embedding the required JavaScript, and the use of JavaScript events for Hype interactions.

Example Files

TinCanAPI.hype.zip (32.8 KB) manifest-file-generator.zip (174.8 KB)

Make my Hype project SCORM 1.2 Compliant
Creating Graded SCORM objects in Hype?
Exporting FAQ: Guides for exporting to Websites, Apps, Content Management Systems, and more
Export my Hype document to a SCORM file
xAPI connectivity
xAPI connectivity
(ivan) #2

Hi Daniel. I’m a new user with hype, and i’m really happy with the results. For now I’m looking the way to ZIP SCORM contents from Tumult Hype and i’d like to know more about this process. I downloaded the TinCan API but i’m not sure how to use it.

Do you have a detailed guided for new users like me? :sweat_smile:

Hi Ivan:

This is a pretty old ‘best practices’ guide which now is likely obsolete, but I am in communication with someone right now to help me get it back up to speed.

What LMS service are you working with? The way a Hype document fits into a LMS service, or within a ‘scorm wrapper’ is as a regular HTML webpage. You can setup hooks that are triggered after a scene has been viewed, or in response to a button click. Usually those types of hooks are provided by your LMS and can be pasted within your Hype document and run ‘On Scene Unload’ or something like that.

Some SCORM-based systems really want to know what images and assets are within your embedded HTML page, which is there the Manifest file generator comes in. I assume platforms have a varying strictness around this.

(ivan) #4

Hi Dan.
It’s a little complicated, we’re going to purchase a new platform based in Blackboard, I’m not sure about the version, that’s on the chief’s hands hahahaha.

For now, I’m looking for the best way to translate our very old contents and Hype has been a really cool solution; but if we could export that contents in a SCORM standard i’ll be so much better.

If you come across documentation for using web content in the new Blackboard environment I’d be happy to see it. A lot of that information is locked up in paid accounts so I don’t really have the voodoo skills to assume how Hype’s export can be twisted to fit into that platform. (Feel free to PM – I’m looking into SCORM now and any new info is helpful!)

My assumption is that for a SCORM element to tie into a system like Blackboard, or other SCORM-friendly systems one would need to load the platforms JavaScript API in the <head> of the document, and run JavaScript functions after content has been viewed, buttons clicked, or other actions taken. How the actual files of the Hype export need to be packaged is still not clear, but the manifest generator used to be what was required. This manifest file in the form of an XML file essentially says

'this HTML content is represented by filename.html and there are these three images and two JavaScript files also required to load the content.`

Different LMSs have varying strictness over the completeness of this “manifest”…

3 posts were split to a new topic: Embedding a Hype Element in TalentLMS (iframe)

(Ted Curran) #7

Hi Daniel – does this post represent the latest thinking with regards to wrapping Hype files in SCORM? It seems as though we can easily use a manifest generator to help the content identify itself as SCORM to the LMS, but then the harder work is to create Javascript events that trigger in response to course activity.

I found this really good series on how SCORM works at a basic level, explaining the main API calls that it makes and giving example code that demonstrates common learning events:

I’m still on my way up the learning curve on this though, so please let me know if you’ve made progress on SCORMifying Hype content.

Thanks!
Ted