Anyone develop mobile apps only using Hype?

Is it possible to create a simple app for iOS devices within Hype? If so, any examples you can point me to? Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, it's possible. I built Wrapping to make it easier.

...and I published some games and apps to Apple's app stores.

I got frustrated with Apple last year though, as there are many MANY issues to battle with. None of these projects are currently available.

Although, now that I wrapped up a massive (unrelated) project, I'm considering a return to Apple's app stores. I might bring back Wrapping, as it could help with the Hype 4... book... app... thing. There is one big issue that is stopping me...

I can't actually download files with the Wrapping / WKWebView method. :man_shrugging:t2:

It seems similar to the issue here... Link in iOS app not working any more - #22 by MarkHunte ...and I've been spending the past few days trying to figure out the problem. This seems the closest to a solution... ios - WKWebView does load resources from local document folder - Stack Overflow ...but it's not working for me.

I've been thinking about giving up, but there are a lot of people here that want me to continue with Wrapping and a new Hype 4 book. Also, I don't have any other "Photics" projects to work on right now. So, it feels like I should keep trying.

Again, it's possible. But, it's surprisingly difficult.

3 Likes

Thanks for your response. And may I say wow! Very nice work! I can see you’ve got a great deal of experience. I played the circles with Grandma for a minute (web version – and predictably I lost)… Was that created entirely in Hype? I assume there may have been some javascript involved?

Just a few weeks into learning the Swift language myself, and really enjoy it so far. But I’m a rather visual-oriented person so you can probably see the appeal of Hype (and Xcode’s Storyboard) has for me. I don’t exactly have the mind of a programmer…

Would like to see how Wrapping could help me in the near future –– if available. Sounds like what I’m looking for… I have the ideas, just haven’t had the outlet (well that and all the necessary technical skills) :laughing:

1 Like

Oh, there was a lot of JavaScript on this one. Ha ha, the rabbit hole went deep. When adding the artificial intelligence for the computer, it caused some really deep thinking...

...this little kids game had me pondering the meaning of life. Ha ha.

That was one of the amazing moments on this project. Once I added the AI to the game, I wasn’t sure if I’d ever win again.

I went to school to be a photojournalist. :man_shrugging:t2:

While I did consider being a “computer programmer” as a kid, in high school and college I was pursuing a very different profession. I sorta fell into being a web developer. By working with GameSalad, Stencyl and Hype... a visual way to program / develop ...I can actually code now. So, you’re in a good spot. You’re even enthusiastic about Swift. Heh, I’m not too keen on Xcode right now.

Although, I did feel a bit of the joy of coding return tonight. I stumbled on the “Code Bullet” channel and I understood a lot of the technobabble.

Even though I do have a lot of experience, there’s always more to know. Heh, I still haven’t figured out the WKWebView download link problem yet. Development is filled with pitfalls like that. The trick is to keep going so you can get better. Heh, I probably should take my own advice, but wow, I’m so tired. :smile:

1 Like

here you can find some examples HypeDocks » Apps and Books

2 Likes

Well, although I’m enthusiastic with Swift, it is not without its share of difficulties. Unfortunately for me, I struggle to practice regularly. By the time the work day is over oftentimes I find it rather tedious to concentrate on my iOS tutorials. Then when I return to them a week later, I have to go back several lessons to make sure I retained it. Sometimes I am able to, other times I am not. I’ve been studying Swift and Xcode for a year and a half using Udemy tutorials and various other resources. Considered a bootcamp like DevMountain SLC, but felt it might have been a waste of $. Better to spend twice their tuition and get a masters in Comp Sci in two years. There’s nothing these bootcamps teach that you can’t learn online. The pressure of having to learn so fast (3 months) coupled with the pressure of knowing I gave up a full time job would not help me learn any better. Of course I’ve also read many success stories of boot camp alum.

Speaking of which, I wish there existed an immersive course in Hype. In person would be better. Now THAT I’d be inclined to pay for.

May I ask how long it took you to learn javascript to a point where you could “do fun stuff”?

1 Like

is this all your work Michelangelo? very impressive! :+1:

I collected several works in the hype Community , I made just one app and several Hype Templates

2 Likes

It takes 12 minutes :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, I’m a bad comparison for this. I started building websites 25 years ago. JavaScript wasn’t even out yet... and even then, it wasn’t very useful. I used Flash for the fun stuff. But when Steve Jobs and iOS killed Flash, I started using Hype.

Since I started out more as a designer, I looked to visual editors to make it easier to make apps. GameSalad and Stencyl were great way to learn to think as a programmer, but I ultimately found it limiting. I waited for years for HTML5 exporting to show up, as a replacement for Flash, but ultimately I was disappointed and moved on.

Back in the day, a lot of coders said it’s better to use raw code. I didn’t believe them, as couldn’t programming be like a GUI based operating system? Most people would rather drag-and-drop a folder icon on the desktop, rather than using a command line. Why couldn’t development be the same way? Why couldn’t it be easier?

The answer appeared while using Hype. Even when I was little, I thought about being a computer programmer. Even though I could patch code together, I didn’t really get JavaScript until Hype. I could see what the software was doing. I learned about the Document Object Model. It was a coding epiphany for me. Once I could programmatically control elements, which is what Hype is basically doing, my projects started having fewer keyframes.

They say that’s the hallmark of a professional – when they don’t have joy in what they do anymore, but they keep doing it. Ha ha. :smile:

Even though I can make apps and games, it’s not really a lot of fun. It’s like an endless stream of puzzles to figure out. And once you start to get good at web development, the profession changes. And even if you make a great game, it can get lost in a sea of apps. There are plenty of game developers that are much better than I am at making games, but so many indie games go unnoticed.

Going back to GameSalad and Stencyl, it truly is ironic. These were apps that were great for exporting games. But back when I used them, they weren’t so great for HTML exporting. Hype is the exact opposite. It’s great for exporting HTML, but it doesn’t export apps. But this time, I could do it myself. With the Hype Export Scripting feature, I can send a project straight to Xcode. It’s amazing. Not exactly fun though. Ha Ha.

I don’t think there’s enough demand for that. If there was, I certainly have the resources to make that happen – but how many people want to travel to the NYC area? Even Amazon doesn’t want to be here now. :smirk:

I think the app / book thing is a better way to learn. It just makes more sense for an international community. Plus, I don’t think a classroom is the right setting to learn web development. Although, I don’t really want to convince people about the merits of what I’ve been planning – because I’m still not sure if I’m actually going to execute that plan. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

wow man.... nice! 25 years in this field is certainly no joke. I can only remember back to the days of internet explorer and AOL when most personal websites were full of flashing multicolored ascii characters. :joy:

I took a flash class once many years ago and really got into it.. I really loved the crisp vector art you can produce in it and I even made a very elaborate e-learning tool about plants and farm life. In hindsight it was probably crap, but I was very proud of it back then, Of course it was just a project for school and no one ever looked at again. What drove me away a short time later was all the action scripting which resembled gobblety-gook to me. I think it was at version AS 2 then... but nowadays looking back, the syntax seems so basic. After that I even looked at ToonBoom for a bit but it appeared more focused on cartoons and such.

This is kind of where I struggle with myself. I have gotten over the hurdle of how Swift works – the language/syntax etc... but I just don't feel connected to it the way I do to things visually. I like Xcode's storyboard, because it enables me to create the design first. In a way though I feel like this is cheating.. because I see plenty of iOS devs who don't use it at all, and in fact, speak poorly of it. I see that they also have much more control over their code by creating everything with fewer lines of code vs. the longer and often more convoluted lines with the drag-n-drop method. So that's where I'm at right now – finding that balance between rapidly producing what I want visually, and doing it the "right" way (read: professional programmer).

But I think I like your approach. I have zero experience with JS and never had any intent to study front-end web dev. But since it is the language that adds steroids to Hype then its definitely worth learning. Thanks for the 12 minute link! I watched it and now I'm an expert. :laughing: Well maybe not, but you have inspired me. So thank you.

So as I understand it, Hype doesn't export apps but does HTML great. But what if I need to develop a standalone app for an iPad that would be only used on that machine locally? Example: device is part of a kiosk.

Should it be loaded as a web page with guided access (to prevent the users from escaping the site)? Or is making it into an ePub (which I've never worked with) in iBooks a feasible solution?

I guess not many others have inquired about the existence of a Hype immersive type course...? :weary: A once-per-quarter 1-2 day seminar in SF or NY could probably be very beneficial for those looking to get a very rapid head start with the program.

Nevertheless.. this book... is it available? Could you please shed some light on how much depth it covers? Should I wait until Hype 4 is released and maybe there will be a corresponding version of book as well?

On a side note, a year ago I was looking for software like Hype and thought Captivate might be the answer.. Found that it was geared wholly toward instructional designers, and although it too implemented JS, just didn't click for me. Also I am no fanboy of the company that makes it. To that point although I mostly work in 3d, my 2d visual tools when I require them, are Affinity Designer and Photo. By the same token, I now see that Hype will likely fit the bill for me. And so I hope it becomes better at App export in the future.

2 Likes

I suppose that depends on your requirements. Even if you do wrap the Hype project as a WKWebView and turn it into an app, you might still want to use guided access... and/or some other restrictions ...to prevent the user from accessing the parts of iOS that they're not suppose to access.

I'm not a big fan of ePub anymore. What can be done with that format is limiting... especially if you want to embed Hype projects. Personally, if I was sending a Hype project to a Kiosk, I'd probably export the project to an app.

I took the book offline. It's a bit dated and I wanted to be fair to the people that bought it, as there isn't an upgrade path. I'm not sure if I'm going to make a Hype 4 book/app thing though. It's a lot of work and I'm not sure if the demand is there. I've also been having technical issues with the project. At the least, I'm waiting to see what happens with Hype 4.

There are plenty of other resources available to learn Hype though. If you search this site for WKWebView, you should be able to find a guide on how to turn a Hype project into an App.

Thanks for the WKWebView reference – I’ll look for it.

So I take it that most people who create Hype projects are embedding their work into existing websites?

Noted on the book not being available anymore. Look forward to a Hype 4 book if and when available though. :slight_smile:

I went thru a bunch of tutorials on YT from some designer from New Zealand. Very thorough. I need more though. Would like to see more advanced work and capabilities though, so I can see how far I can get with Hype.

Have you tried Ionic frameworks for wrapping?

Hello, i live in France, Wrapping is not available in my country.
Is there a way to install it via homebrew ?
I can’t find a cask with that name.

Thanks.

https://ionicframework.com

npm install -g ionic

www.SplashGraphixZ.com Your Image is Our Business

Thanks splashgraphixz,
ATM I use Xcode with a WKWebview to host my hype sources.
I was wondering if Wrapper can automatize it for me to save a little time.
But thanks for the link :wink:

Wrapping is currently not available.

While there are no definite plans at the moment, the most likely return of Wrapping (at the moment) is as the second Export Script lesson in the Hype 4 book.