Exporting Video with Sound - Creating a Screencast

Tumult Hype supports exporting an MP4 video of your animation (using File > Export as Movie > Video...), but it does not currently support exporting audio. Fortunately, it's pretty quick to do this with other tools.

Capturing Clicks & Interaction

If you'd just like to capture a high quality video of your document in action, you may want to use something like https://getkap.co/.

Screenflow is another powerful tool for capturing your screen and audio playing from a Hype document (as played from a browser).

Capturing Video & Audio:

Install Soundflower

1. Export your Tumult Hype document
  2. Close all other open programs (except for Hype)
  3. Open Quicktime
  4. Click File > New Screen Recording
  5. Next to the record button, click the down arrow to select 'Soundflower 2ch' to record your local computer's audio
  6. Preview your document (Safari works best)
  7. Press Record
  8. Select the area of Safari where your Hype document appears
  9. Start recording in Quicktime
  10. Refresh Safari to reload the page
  11. Once your animation is complete, you can stop recording in Quicktime. Your video can be trimmed within that application a re-exported. (hit command + t to trim)

For more advanced screen recording, we recommend Screenflow or Camtasia.

3 Likes

When will the ability to export video with audio be coming for Pro users? I would think it is soon - when I export the video, it plays as I want it to in the preview window, just not on the final mp4 file.

Thanks!

We don’t generally provide timelines/promises for when features are implemented (a million things could happen that lead to us being wrong), but this is a priority. That said, it is also very difficult to implement, because there’s plenty of audio you’d want to have (like that of a video) that can be difficult to get and control… it isn’t an easy feature.

1 Like

This solution did not work for me. The audio still isn’t captured when I create a screen recording with the Quicktime Player X. I don’t see any options to specify where the audio is captured from (other than microphone inputs)

I had to resort to using Camtasia, not ideal, but I’ll take it for now.

@iantm

Hi Ian!

I had the same problem. What was missing for me was creating an “aggregate device”. It is not difficult to do and provides an extremely versatile screen capture environment. The key is using the “Audio Midi” app found in your “Applications” > “Utilities” folder.

Below are tutorials plus the SoundFlower “ReadMe” file (zipped). Read the “Turn it Up to 11 - MacWorld” first, then if that doesn’t do it for You view the YouTube tutorial. The attached “SoundFlower_ReadMe” file will make more sense after You read the MacWorld article.

Turn it Up to 11 - MacWorld
SoundFlower Tutorial - YouTube

SoundFlower_ReadMe.rtf.zip (1.8 KB)

1 Like

Did you actually install soundflower?

Hi guys @MarkHunte, @JimScott, @iantm

Just wanted to share this piece of software (it’s free for up to 20 minutes of audio after that the sound gets degraded).

It’s way easier to set up audio routing and I have pretty much every software these guys have made. Great stuff!

Lol.

Gosh, I used to use that years ago.

strange. They only released it Jan 2016! :smile:

Audio Hijack,

loopback looks the like the same old thing just re hashed into another App.

@DBear @MarkHunte

Thanks for the info Darren.

Like Mark I used Audio Hijack sometime ago (worked great). I just gave Loopback a once over and it appears to do what Hijack did plus quite a bit more. But many of the features mentioned are exactly what You can do with Apple’s AudioMidi app (plus SoundFlower) - though as DBear mentions the routing looks easier and no doubt a few more bells & whistles. Rogue Amoeba has always put out great stuff.

Attached is a screenshot of my AudioMidi screen. The initial set-up took a short bit of reading to understand the general principles (I’m not an audio buff) and then experiment (10 minutes total or so) - but after that everything is very straightforward. With the configuration below I can create inputs for apps (e.g. QuickTime, Garageband, Audition), microphones, switch output~speaker systems, etc. One can do a lot more - however my needs are fairly simple. And it’s free.

1 Like

@MarkHunte

Hi Mark!

Sorry, I missed your question earlier… Did you actually install sound flower?

Yes.

The SoundFlower installer places it in: Boot Drive > “Library” > “Extensions” > “Soundflower.kext”

However, unlike as stated in the “ReadMe” file, there were no “supporting files will be installed to /Applications/Soundflower.”

Soundflower apparently is something of an orphan program~project these days with the original creator taking back the reins after a hiatus. Know nothing more about this state of affairs.

So the “AudioMidi” app is (in my case) providing the interface. The main thing is it works. I’ve never had an issue.

Sorry that was aimed at @iantm

I’m circling back. I am following through today, will report back when I get it working!

Any update on exporting video with sound?

bump…

Given that the Hype 4 documentation links to this thread, is it safe to assume that Exporting Video with Sound isn’t going to be a feature any time soon?

The 4k ProRes 422 video export capabilities in Hype 4 Pro are so good, that I wouldn’t want to replace them with a Quicktime screencast. We can manually position sound files in Final Cut Pro (or any other video editor), but it would be good to know if anyone has an easier workaround.

We don’t comment on the release date of specific features (as it is impossible to say how long it would take before the engineering is done!). But this is a definite weakness, and we tend to address those in the feature updates following major versions.

1 Like

+1 for this feature. I just spent good 2 hours searching on what am I doing wrong and how this could be done, only to realize this is not at all supported.

Please do consider adding this, ideally with direct support for audio tracks in the main editor.

2 Likes

Hi Jan!

Welcome to the Forum!

I've requested the "direct support for audio tracks" feature for years. :+1:

You can create a .mp4 audio file which allows display in the Timeline. But there is no native support for waveforms, no timing markers or labels for the Timeline track; all of which makes syncing with animations time consuming.

Not having (at least some of) these types of audio features in an animation program that's been around this long is disappointing. :joy::beer:

1 Like