xCode 11.1 crashes after opening existing projects

I guess you better wait updating to Catalina, because you won’t be able to open your existing projects. Or is it only me?

We discovered a bug in macOS 10.15 that where Xcode will crash if an xcode project has a “.hyperesources” folder within it. I assume this is your case?

We reported this to Apple as FB7107852 on August 22nd and I now see in the case:

Recent Similar Reports: More than 10

I believe this is more of a LaunchServices bug than an Xcode bug (and note that the Xcode 11.2 beta doesn’t fix it yet anyhow). The only workaround is to entirely remove Hype from your machine and reset your launchservices database. This will allow the project to open and not crash. Of course you’ll need Hype at some point, so before adding it back you can change the folder from “.hyperesources” to something else, but for the document to work you’d then also need to change all references in the .html and *_hype_generated_script.js files to the new name.

Yes, that’s my case. So I’ll have to wait till Apple fixes it, or I could go back to Mojave. I updated because I was curious about Catalyst. :scream:

In my testing I was able to get this command to help without needing to trash Hype from my machine:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -R -f -u /Applications/Hype4.app/

(assuming you only have Hype 4 on your machine and it is installed in your Applications folder; if you have old versions or it is in a different path you’ll need to adjust)

I don’t know how long this command will stay effective for, and it may interfere with opening Hype documents by double-clicking in the Finder.

To re-register Hype 4 with the launch services database, you would use this command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -R -f /Applications/Hype4.app/

But the funny thing is that after running this, I cannot reproduce the crash as I would have expected.

1 Like

Thanks @jonathan. Since I’m not an experienced terminal user, I copied the command and pasted into terminal. If this is the right way to do it, sadly it didn’t help. If I forgot something, please let me know.