Wrapping – Export Hype HTML to an App 🎁

That's an Apple bug. It was reported, but I don't know if they're going to fix it.

Well, it is not annoying enough.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apple has ported WebKit to watchOS, which opens up a lot of possibilities. You can view web content from your watch.

Hmmm :thinking:

Perhaps this is a way to improve the "Wrapping" app. Does this mean something like a Hype project could run on an Apple Watch?

While I don’t know how long I’ll keep updating Wrapping, the general idea is that I worry about the Xcode updates, so that you don’t have to. So, I got worried when I saw this…

Xcode 10.0 was released today! :scream_cat:

So, I downloaded it and checked it out. Surprisingly, there were no errors or warnings with an Xcode project from the most recent version of Wrapping. That’s nice!

In general, Apple went nuts today… iOS 12, iWork apps, Safari 12 and Xcode 10. I’m still getting settled with the updates. The latest version of macOS (10.14) supposedly drops next week. So, I’ve been busy catching up. This is good, because my latest app (Intensifies, which is also built with Wrapping) has been… difficult.

3 Likes

I was recently asked what happened to Wrapping. So, here’s the story. I wasn’t having much fun with Apple’s walled garden. So, I pulled my apps from the store. Sales were terrible and the tedious rules were killing the joy of app development. I posted about it here… https://photics.com/a-new-plan/ …I thought about giving up, but Wrapping is a good app. I have some other great ideas for other app projects too. I should keep going.

So, I’ve been thinking about creating something more cross-platform friendly… like this…

…it seems I gave up on Android too quickly. Last Spring, I wasn’t too far from getting Android export working. Perhaps I should keep going… is Windows exporting possible? Is Linux exporting possible? Could wrapping work on other operating systems besides macOS? I don’t know, but it seems a new plan is forming.

Meanwhile, I haven’t gone anywhere. I’m still thinking about Hype and what to do about the Hype 4 book… but I’m going to be busy, so I probably won’t be chatting as much around here until I get the new plan going.

1 Like

Wow, there’s a good chance I’m bringing this app back. I loaded up the “Wrapping” project today in Xcode. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see this…

…my app automatically had dark mode support. I didn’t have to do a thing. It just worked. That’s the Apple I know! I’m still testing things out to see if it makes sense to get back into iOS / Mac app development. This was very encouraging though.

Note: This is the “Wrapping” app itself, not the app projects it exports. Hype projects don’t detect dark mode… yet.

2 Likes

Bring it back into the store if it doesn’t cost you too much time and energy. I love it and am sure others will too. I know how tedious it is working with (around) Apple’s restrictive and contradictory rules, so I fully empathize, @Photics!

3 Likes

Wow, I'm glad you feel that way about the app. It's a pretty good app. Since I use it, I've been keeping it updated. Version 1.2 (a minor update) is almost ready for launch, I'm still debating if I should actually go for it.

Here's why I've been thinking about Wrapping...

I've been kicking around the idea of hosting a Hype gaming competition next year. I really like what Apple did for small businesses. I think it would be awesome if lots of people started building games with Hype. Flash is dead, but there isn't a true successor. I think that successor should be Hype. I figure if people start making hit games with Hype, that will attract good attention.

But for that plan to truly be successful, I figure there are three major obstacles...

1. An easy way to use Hype's Physics engine (matter.js) — I have the PhoticsPhysicsBridge.js sitting on my desktop. I think it's very helpful. I just haven't launched it.
  2. An easy way to convert a Hype project to an App. @MarkHunte has a nice Xcode project, but Wrapping is even easier. It's even easier than that when using the Hype Export Script. This is also ready to go. It's just sitting on my computer.
  3. There are two major issues with matter.js — No Continuous Collision Detection (CCD) and bouncing objects lose momentum.

By controlling the speed of the elements, you can usually work around CCD. But the Momentum issue, that's blocking two simple game ideas of mine. That's actually how I started off this weekend. I was planning to work on "Bricked". I quickly realized why that project was unfinished. :smile:

There are two tasks left to relaunch Wrapping.

1. Add an option to add the Export Script to Hype
  2. Update the screenshots. (It now has Dark Mode.)

It's not definite, but looking good for a relaunch of Wrapping. Are people still interested in this?

1 Like

Yes, I would like to update my version. And it would be nice if there’s a Android export as well. So please proceed :grinning:

1 Like

I revisited this issue again, but I'm not sure how the technique I'm using would work with Gradle. Frustrating, but it's the same problem I ran into three years ago. So, the plan is to release the current version — and the Hype Export Script — on Etsy soon. That way, international customers can get a copy of Wrapping.

1 Like

UPDATE — I still have some more work to do with the listing, such as adding a video and more pictures, but Wrapping is now available internationally.

If you're wondering why this costs $20, it's because the Hype Export Script is included. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Wrapping (Export Script) Video

This thread was started in August 2017. So if you don't feel like scrolling all the way to the top, here's the example video again. The whole process is less than one minute and 17 seconds.

And... AND... there's a part of the video where you enter the “Company Name” and the “Bundle Prefix”. If that never changes for you, then you can manually add those values into the script. That makes the process even faster.

If you already have your Hype project exported, you can use the Wrapping app...

4 Likes

I bought Wrapping on the App Store in 2018, is there any way to get the Hype (Exporting Script) without purchasing (again) on Etsy?

Future development is not guaranteed, but the idea is to update the Mac app so it can install the Export Script. However, I was not successful last time I tried this. I do have two fresh Tech Support Incidents to use, and I was considering using one to resolve this problem, but it's fairly low on the priority list. I was thinking of returning to Mac App Store development around the time macOS 12 is released. (That's months away.) I have an idea for Widgets and the other apps might need updating too.

Right now the focus is building up Photics.TV (YouTube channel) so that more people learn about Wrapping and A Book About Hype.

I don't want to throw any promotions right now because people just spent money in the Etsy store.

Hi all,

This may be irrelevant in this thread however I’m wondering if anyone’s been able to create a native app with save / memory features? I’ve developed a few web apps that use local.storage and also using a MySQL database to load (upload and download) saved information but I’m wondering if there’s another way you can use memory with native apps?

Also, this development looks amazing so thanks @Photics for this! I developed a easy read app a few years ago for people with learning disabilities and it took me ages to work out how to get it all working in Xcode. When I boot up my iMac later I’ll download wrapping to give it a go :+1:

Thanks everyone,

Chris

1 Like

I don't mind. I'll discuss Xcode stuff in this thread.

This is my preferred method. It's so easy. Is there a particular reason that you don't like it?

With the "Widgets" app, I managed to read locally from an SQLite database. I haven't tried it, but from what I've seen, it looks like writing to a Local SQLite database is possible too. I didn't try that because the database is included with the app, so any saves would be blown away with updates. I suppose it would work if I saved the database somewhere outside the app, but localStorage is just so much easier for what I do.

There are two other ideas that I haven't explored either... like iCloud... which Widgets does use. It can add reminders... but I haven't used it to store general app data in the cloud.

There's also something called "Core Data"... but I didn't get very far with that... Core Data | Apple Developer Documentation

I suppose these are good topics for Photics.TV, so if I see people struggling with the same issue I might make a helpful video to solve the problem.

Hi @Photics. Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking that as local.storage linked to website date, if the user clears all website data, they would also clear the data within the native app. is this correct? Also, I recently read that apple were having a time limit on how long local storage data is held so I was concerned that this would impact the use within a native app.

I'll check this out. I've done some playing around with building native iOS apps in the past using Xcode and swift (in its very early days) but I've never had the time to re-explore this again.

Thanks for your help with this,

Chris

Just to chip in

I cannot see any reason why you could not pass info from the wkwebview to the app and then store that data in any of the native app methods of doing so.
Passing the data back should be just as simple.

There are some if my examples on the site that show how to pass back and forth

1 Like

Hey Michael,
I've just updated the wrapping app. It seems that the sound doesn't work. After scratching my head twice I found out that one needs to add:
wc.setValue( true , forKey: "_allowUniversalAccessFromFileURLs")
below: if #available(OSX ) .
Could you fix that in an update. It's not so nice to need this adding every time.
regards Djon

I'm not comfortable with that change. While not perfect, sounds work for me without that setting. As an example, "Circles with Grandma" has sounds. Maybe it's something else? Are you doing something special with your sounds? Are you using Howler.js? Are you loading them remotely?

I do think there is an issue with playing sounds. It was a problem when creating the app version of "A Book About Hype". The coconut template would have a problem with audio because of repeating sounds.

Also, once I use Wrapping to setup an Xcode project, I don't use Wrapping to build it again. I usually just update the HTML folder.

If you find yourself making a lot of customizations, you might like the new Hype Extension version of Wrapping... Wrapping – Photics.com ...as that can be customized. You can even add your Company Name and Bundle Prefix to speed things up...