Prefers-dark-interface

Here’s a heads-up…

With macOS 10.14, Dark Mode is going to be a popular feature. Since I do a lot of WebView apps, I was wondering if there was some way to detect if the user was using Dark Mode.

While the feature is not here yet, it looks like there’s some discussion on the matter. That could be pretty cool. Apparently, there might a media query in the works… prefers-dark-interface.

So, I’m happy and sad. I’m happy because that’s less work right now. HA HA. I can’t add a feature that’s impossible. I’m sad because I’m hitting all my other benchmarks for the KEEN app update, so it would have been nice to have Dark Mode support for 10.14.

Well… I suppose it’s not totally impossible. I suppose I could use Swift to detect the mode. :thinking:

…but obviously browser support would be easier and better. (If the detection was browser based, it would work in apps and on the web.)

Anyway, this is just something to be aware of. If this does become a thing one day, it might be a nice add-on for Hype. If not, and “prefers-dark-interface” is a thing, it’s pretty easy to manually add that to your Hype project.