Resources to use Relative Paths

1. What do you want to see in Hype?
    Hype seem to use absolute paths to link to resources and assets, if I duplicate a folder that has assets in and I want to replace those assets I have to go in one by one and update them. It would be nice if paths could be changed to relative paths so that when the files are updated in the folder that they are then updated in the Hype project automatically.
  1. Have you found a workaround for this problem?
    Dropping in assets from the folder into the new Hype project, using the same names

2. Are there examples of other apps with this feature? Or, have you seen examples of this elsewhere on the web? (Please include a URL)
    No

3. How high of a priority is this for you?
    Nice to Have
    [ ] Important
    [ ] Can't use Hype without it

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and making the video.

Unfortunately Apple's Mac App Sandboxing security system pretty much precludes this from being possible, at least on any app approved to be on the Mac App Store. Apps on the store like Hype cannot read files that you haven't granted permission to.

To even link to files at all, apps have to use a pretty clunky and fragile technology called Security Scoped Bookmarks (reasonable overview here). To be specific, while Hype does store a full path for some verification and bookkeeping, ultimately it uses this bookmark mechanism to find and read your file. Bookmarks have a couple levels in which it can keep track of your file and can survive some changes in the directory you make, based on how much time the app wants to spend looking for it. Hype goes a more minimal route for performance reasons. Regardless, the bookmark system can't capture the intent that you'd rather the file be relative to the document. This is just something Apple didn't really plan for. This would be a good feature request for them, but to be frank they haven't really made any improvements to sandboxing in ~10 years.

2 Likes

Thanks for the in depth explanation on this. Happy for this to be closed

1 Like

@jonathan Would it be possible to add a "Reveal in Finder" option when right clicking on resources. That way it'll be easier to manage which resources are being used.

2 Likes

Yes, I think this would be a good idea. Just note that Hype works by storing copies of files internally, and only keeps a loose link to the original. A 'reveal in finder' would be to this original, which might have lost linkage at some point for a variety of reasons (copying to a different machine is the common culprit). If you want to edit files in Hype's control, instead you can use the "Edit" menu in the resources library. It will likely corrupt your document if you open the files directly within the .hype document while open.