Pencil animation (or line animation)

This approach was to reveal a dotted path ...

1 Like

That looks great. :+1:
This way you can give the arm some naturalness, at least support and lift the pencil tip from the paper. That's enough to make a more dynamic global animation

It is absolutely stunning. :open_mouth:
It can give a very interesting creative game.

The timer is a blast :heart_eyes: :exploding_head:

Thank you very much for your contribution.

1 Like

The technical reason is that the line draw and line dash use the same property under the hood. My recollection is that the solutions that were developed in the forums would likely be the way forward to allowing both in Hype for a future release :slight_smile:.

I'm glad to see everyone contributing on here - looks like with all these techniques combined a hand drawn pencil animation look has come together!

2 Likes

Thank you for the technical explanation. Now I understand it better.

With all that I have learned here I have made an animation with Hype for the header of some videos that I am working on.

I have also taken the opportunity to test the buttons. I have put one of "Repaly" but it gives a failure: the pencil line effect is lost with the "Replay", although it works if you reload the page.

En enlace está aquí:
https://artesaeta.com/Animation/Logo_Animado.html

5 Likes

I have been doing tests and only "reload" the pencil style if the button action is "Go to Url (same web address)" reloading the page, instead of "Jump to the Scene1". But I don't know if that's right.

That looks great!

Any chance you would be willing to share a zip of this .hype document? I think that would be the easiest route to investigate why the filter effect for the pencil isn't showing up.

1 Like

Yes. Here it is @jonathan . It's my first job with Hype so there may be a few bugs. The animation is entirely handmade.

Many thanks for the help

Looking great! Basically, the enabler creates SVGs with effect definitions and a unique id for each of the pencils. Currently, I am not checking if the enabler already did that job and it reruns. I guess that would be the source of the problem. You can fix it if you add the enabler to a first scene you never revisit. But the pencils (and the enabler) do need some love and some refactoring. I am currently investigating patterns and in that go… maybe I'll see to it that pencils are also "cleaned" up and extracted into a CDN file rather than being rendered as an "enabler" (in a rectangle) on stage…

2 Likes

Sorry, the ZIP file is not complete. I renamed the file in the folder while the file was open in Hzpe and all the SVGs disappeared. I managed to recover a backup. I was quite shocked to see that all that was missing. :scream:
I am sharing it again in case it helps to see better what is going on. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you very much for the explanation. As I don't know how to program I simply copied the previous molds trying to understand the logic, but not much more.

I also found that the image of the hand is too heavy. I did the test with an image in print resolution and forgot to change it for the image with screen resolution. That slows it down a lot.

amazing animation!

I have a problem with the video export of this project.
As you can see in the file, I have already set the measurements of the scene thinking about the output to HD video (1920x1080) but when exporting, the video obtained does not have the sharpness that it should. In fact there is almost no difference with the export to 720px.

I have tried exporting with both Codex and I have also done a test doubling the export size. The problem remains.

However, when exporting GIF or PNG the result is much sharper, but they are formats that do not solve anything for me in this project.

I looked in the forums and found the same problem in this post.

Although it is old it explains perfectly the result. I'm following @jonathan 's advice to make the scheme bigger. It doesn't sound logical to me with the size of my scene but I'm trying to see what happens.

I think the problem is when converting from SVG to video format, perhaps because of compression.

An interesting solution might be to export each frame in numbered PNG, just as Flash did. It is not the most agile but it allows to solve some problems. Now I think that maybe you could export with transparent PNG as well.

yeah it's a pitfall, but working with a doubled scenesize brought the expected results for some videos i did in the past ...

1 Like

There is a Runtime called HYPE.video.js in the package and one could use it for that…

Added and needed API for frame exports is ...
heartbeatForVideoExport with the signature (currentTime)

@jonathan wrote about it here:

Transparent Video background export is possible with puppeteer and headless chrome:

1 Like

Thank you very much, guys, for your contributions.

@MaxZieb Thank you very much, :pray: but without knowing how to program I prefer not to go into that field (although I will take a look). I'll keep this information for when I know more. :wink:

Every day I spend using Hype I like it more but, what makes me fall in love is the community here supporting everybody. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you very, very much for all the support, really.

2 Likes

@h_classen The trick of preparing the scene with a larger size than the final video output works very well. :grinning:

It is simply something that you have to take into account if you want to export the animation to video. For other direct web projects, it is not necessary.

The final size I used is 3840 x 2160 px

1 Like

The zip from above has the scene size of 1920x1080, so if this is your video export setting then you will get the same pixels as on your retina screen with that choice since it is a 2x factor.

I wasn't quite certain from your messages if you were just hitting the fact that on a Retina screen Hype will show the scene at @2x vs. a video export dimensions are in @1x pixels. If you have shots of the same resolution of a PNG export vs. a video export that shows a difference, please feel free to send that along. The video export really just uses the same data as the PNG export, so the only difference is compression inherent to the video format.

Thank you for your response. I am out of the studio until Saturday. On my return I compare the quality of the PNG and the video to see if there is a real difference or not.

Enviado desde myMail para iOS

1 Like