iPad Version of Hype Pro

I get all that you are saying and I don’t disagree with it, but when 90% of your computer time is spent in various graphics programs, the ability to make a precise selection of a an object which you are editing trumps everything.

A cursor is basically the only workable selection device that is practical. Think of the Hype menu, often you need to select one character of text, or a line in the timeline menu. That selection point is far smaller than your finger. The problem as I see it is that simple. And it seems insurmountable to me.

Re: keyboards I pass through two high schools in the course of my work, not related to Hype, but to the educational system in a specific teaching capacity. In another position in the last 5 years I came to know several computer teachers quite well. What we talked a lot about was typing accuracy. The subject of keyboards came up, specifically the new “flat” keyboards, vs. the old “tall key” Mac key keyboards, and also their Microsoft keyboards with the same basic key heights. All teachers had the same position: typing is considerably less accurate with the flat keyboards than the “tall” keyboards, because on the “aiming point” of the flat keyboards, if you want to call it that, is larger, which seems like a good idea, but really isn’t because the edges of the adjacent keys are very close to each other, easy to hit the wrong key. The old tall keys required a more precise, more accurate placement of the fingers, which actually led to higher quality typing, not less as some might think. There are definite cultural trends that lead us to accept less accurate typing, writing, reading, logical thought etc, but that is a different problem that we will have to deal with if we don’t fix it, another story.

So apply the key problem to a touch interface. Not me, not for any project more than typing a few words, or working in a Hype document with 53 separate timelines, and hundreds of objects that have to be selected within tenths or hundredths of an inch.

Thats why I am not a fan of touch interfaces in most applications.

1 Like

We periodically consider Hype on the iPad and if it makes sense both from a product and business perspective.

As the last few comments indicate, folks definitely have different workflows :slight_smile:. In the last year, not only has the iPad hardware improved considerably with the Pro line, but iOS 11 has gained mac-like features that help on productivity tasks (like drag and drop!). Working with and importing external assets is a critical task in Hype, so perhaps these new features and power will be a catalyst for more professional production software to come out on the iPad.

There are also rumors about unified user interface frameworks between iOS and the Mac - this may reduce the cost for building an iPad version.

We will continue to keep an eye on it!

3 Likes

In my personal opinion thi is not the time to bring attention to the ipad version, considering the target of the app. I'm a big fan of Affinity team and I use some apps every day in my work.

I've spend time (a lot) on Photo for ipad and now I'm able to develop a raw on the go, with just an in ipad (pro12) and my apple pencil. This is abolutely cool, however in the real life, with complex softwares the "right button" of the mouse and some shortcuts are irreplaceable, using fingers, pencil or gestures requires a lot of time! trust me, if you need a productive tool ( on the go) buy a macbook air or 12 :slight_smile:

Another chance to understand the work on both IOS/OSX is checking at Lightroom vs Lightroom Classic ( desktop). same functions but different interface and unfortunately some limitations in IOS. I use both in my work, the online version is useful but the work is made 90% on desktop.

BTW now you can evaluate the productivity of hype trough Astropad ( the best) or Duet, give a try!

With the version for iPad Hype could test projects in real time!
I also hope that the code becomes more affordable for development costs between IOS and OSX.

I used Duet while making A Book About Hype, as I could create retina quality screenshots. Another way to experience Hype on the iPad is Remoter VNC, just remote into a Mac from the iPad.

AWFUL!

Although, I was just doing my taxes with an iPad. It was a nice experience. I could just snap a picture of a document and most of the information would be auto populated. That's where mobile makes sense. It's doing something the desktop cannot do. Also, it's more cozy. It felt more relaxing than work.

For something like Hype to work on iPad, it can't just be a port. It has to take advantage of the platform. I'm tempted to build an app like this for iOS, but I don't want to compete with Tumult. Also, I already have a lot of work to do.

The sad reality though, and even though I think the iPad is not ideal for work, Tim Cook and friends are really pushing the idea that it is. They're pushing so hard that they seem to be neglecting macOS. Where's the new Mac mini?! Where's the new Mac Pro?! What significant changes on macOS have happened in the last five years – that don't count as bringing an iOS feature to Mac?

Such a stupid commercial Apple... "What's a computer?!" ...bah! Don't play dumb Apple. People know the iPad is a computer – it's just not the best for work. It's like a meme...

"Stop trying to make the iPad a work computer. It's not going to happen."

Although, this could be an opportunity for developers. If the iPad could be a good platform for making apps and websites, if somehow the Apps were more productive than the desktop counterparts, the apps that makes that happen could be incredibly successful. But as long as Xcode is macOS only, I need a Mac. And if I give up on that, I can give up on the whole Apple ecosystem.

1 Like

Me too, since Hype is such an important part of what I do, I would just drop out of the "industry"
Trying hard here to talk about Windows on this, I worked on a Windows 10 machine on a contract this summer, it really is pretty trouble free, but the question would be could the operating system handle Hype, does it have the adaptable tools. OH i hope we never have to go there.

1 Like

I’ve been seriously considering going the other direction... Linux.

While the top tech companies (Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft) make my retirement look nice, their reach is too big for me. The world needs better than the whole of the Internet, the whole mobile industry, the whole computer industry, funneling through a handful of people.

A phone focused on privacy shouldn’t seem like a crazy or alien idea...

I’m confident something like Hype could be built on Linux. Then, from there, that could easily run on Windows.

Apple is still my favorite, but they better start treating their users with more respect. Don’t change the operating system to slow down the iPhone without telling us. Don’t pretend people don’t know what the iPad is. (We know it’s a computer.) Release better Mac, no stupid touch bar and no 4 year old Mac Minis sold as new computers. You can’t make fun of Windows computers that are five years old (that was stupid Apple) when your “new” Mac mini is slower than a 2012 Mac Mini – that’s six years ago!

1 Like

While I don’t have one now, have had 2, the mini is the great unsung hero of the Mac line. How many of them are out there soldiering away? If Apple made them upgradable like the early ones, and with a good marketing program, I believe it could double Mac’s market share percentage.

( make sure Jony Ive’s security pass won’t allow him any where near the project)

with a mac it can have both systems and windows works fine. Same job files, no performance delay.

I did run Bootcamp, but since I got a refurb iMac with 3.4 processor and 1.6G Fusion drive from my Apple reseller of 20 years,( a rocket ship for being a 2010 machine!!!) I now like Parallels better, opens Windows in 15 seconds. It IS good to test Hype files on the actual browser that may run it. Safari’s Responsive Design Mode is good, but not as good when it is looking at Windows browsers.

well said; in a professional work both systems are required, just only for testing but are required. A real test on IE and Chrome and Firefox on WIn is binding; the same browswer in Win works in a different way that the OSX verions.

In my work I have 3 win versions ( 2 virtual machines and bootcamp) , in some cases opened simultaneously on OSX ( using parallels).

Great news!

iPad Pros or similar will be the future. It’s hard to argue that anyone wants more physical hardware to lug around.

The iPad Pro has a superior Pen when compared to Wacom etc. It’s closer to any other input device than anything to date (pencil, paintbrush etc). the lightweight keyboard you can attach also works well.
Eventually, we’ll be typing without a keyboard and a sensor will take the place of the keyboard so you can type as if there was a keyboard present… All in good time.

I’m quite comfortable “creating” on the iPad when I need to sketch, paint and long for the means to also program and auto upload on save. I have Coda on the IPad and a slew of other programs but the bottom line is the form factor.

Laptops were always designed to be a portable device. The iPad Pro fits better on an Airplane, laying in bed, wherever you may use your Laptop, an iPad Pro just fits better. We just need more programs.

I also use mine as a second screen from my Macbook Pro but would be happy with 2 iPad Pros side by side :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adobe Photoshop in Ipad
Adobe Illustrator in ipad
Affinity designer in ipad
Affinity photo in ipad

Please tumult hype in ipad!!!

1 Like

@casimiro Interesting proposal; How would you use the ipad version in the professional field?
in the development of animations what substantial advantage would give hypeIOS? finally, how do you propose to manage external links to libraries that are often used in projects?

I have all the apps you have listed and I only use them in certain cases. Sometime I use hype on iPad throigh Astropad and Apple Pencil but only for testing;

The only App with a decent UI to manage horizontal timeline is LUMAFUSION (a nice piece of software). Adobe and Apple haven’t done anything like this and are much more powerful .

I think HypeReflect is enough :slight_smile:
My two cents

1 Like

Have used iOS since the beginning in both iPhone and iPad, and the overwhelming conclusion that I come to is that the list of things that the touch interface cannot do is far, far larger than what it CAN do.

iOS 13 has jammed my phone apps with so many unneeded features and buttons AND app advertising that the amount of memorization required to become proficient in the apps reminds me of Windows 95, albeit with icons taking the place of strings of text. Good chance I will go back to iOS12 on my phone, never bothered to upgrade my iPad, its stuck in a drawer somewhere.

1 Like

I have learned AP before on ipad (with pen) and then on mac. The right mouse button must be replaced by gestures!; I think the desktop version is more productive, the IOS version is good for working on the go.

1 Like

I could go along with the “working on the go” idea, but working on the go is not something I will do any longer, can’t concentrate, but I recognize that people need to sometimes. I just go home to my house on the side of a 500 foot deep canyon with deer, turkeys, chipmunks and an occasional mountain lion and make up the difference! :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve got the chance to get an iPad Pro this weekend. I’ve used an XP-Pen Star 06 graphic tablet for years and I love it. But I’ve always liked the idea of drawing straight onto the screen…drawing and painting are all I’m interested in so it seems amazing to me .

1 Like

With the SideCar feature on the Apple Ecosystem. Is it even worth it to create a iOS App for Hype? :smirk::wink:

3 Likes

We did make a video showing how to use sidecar with Hype:

3 Likes