Importing layered PSDs, AIs, SVGs, Sketch

Oh that is awesome news!

About manual processing Sketch to Hype - all depends on the complexity of your file. Basically you need to rebuild and reposition anything that you want to animate. At least 20 / 30 minutes for me on icons like these - https://dribbble.com/shots/3278967--Comment-Added-Achievement-Badge

This is definitely something we agree would improve workflows with Hype!

2 Likes

Yes, it depends on the file complexity like jomtones said. The sketch export functionality allow you to quickly export any element of your sketch file as SVG. But you still need to reposition the imported SVG file and of course recreate and reposition every single text layer from scratch in Hype.

Great , but speaking as a strong user of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop since 1992, and as one who abandoned both about 10 years ago due to the fact that they both became Rube Goldberg apps that tried to incorporate every possible feature known to man, I would hate to see Hype get too complex trying to accomodate the features of multiple apps AND all of the adword services (what are there 100 of them out there?

Let them develop the plug ins or “kludges” to make their stuff compatible with Hype!

I have been around long enough to see lots of software companies tie themselves into knots trying to make themselves compatible with everyone else.

Hype is too important to let that happen and it could, the tipping point could be reached very quickly.

Just my opinion.

4 Likes

I’m also an interaction designer. Not sure where the status of this is? It’s 2018…

I just wanted to add how important this integration would be. For me, a way to import Sketch and maintain the layout and layers would be awesome and save so much time! I love using Hype and mostly use it for prototyping and sometimes authoring production ready elements.

Even Sketch can do animations now and InVision Studio is promising. There are a bunch of other prototyping design tools starting to integrate animation. The thing that no one has seemed to pull off yet is that designer to developer handoff. It’s getting better but man, Hype could bridge that gap.

Personally, no one (so far) handles animation like Hype does plus the ability to export to html5, edit CSS and Javascript into something more than a throwaway prototype.
If you were to incorporate modern design tools like Sketch—I’m telling you, you’d solve an important problem and make many designers and developers extremely happy.

6 Likes

Which software similar to hype importing Sketch files natively?
have you tested Affinity designer?
With AD you can make also several other things, not only UI prototipe or WEB elements.

1 Like

I suppose it would be nice to do import layers as a group, but what effort really is saved? In your image software, you need to create the layers, working with them individually, and then when imported into Hype, you still would need to assign the appropriate timelines and any other actions to each layer, so I am not sure what the need would be?

1 Like

I have tested Affinity Designer. It’s a great tool. To answer your question. Haiku.ai has the ability to import Sketch files natively and do live updates. For example, when you change a color in Sketch, it will update it in your scene. Also, with InVision Studio, you can copy and paste your artboards from Sketch and it will maintain layout. (Sorry for the very late response, I’ve been busy…)

1 Like

It has more to do with maintaining layout from your design tool. The main benefit is that it saves time—tons of time. For example, If I’m building a prototype in Sketch with lots of elements, I want to maintain the position and layout of those elements. Right now, I have to export each element/layer as an asset then import them into Hype. I lose the layout. I’m doing double the work because I have to reposition all the elements/layers. Hopefully, that answers your question.

3 Likes

In terms of more productive and effective work, Hype has IMHO still to develop some of repetitive tasks' automation. Right now, the workflow feels more suitable for a one-off job, it is not possible to create actions (a la photoshop) for repetitive tasks or e.g. copypaste of js-functions from one doc's Resources to another doc doesn't work.

3 Likes

What’s the progress on this topic? Guys, it’s nearly 2020!!
Sketch and Figma now days is the most popular tools for web designer. I think supporting these two apps is a essential feature.
I have been using hype since the Hype2, hype is a really great tool in terms of html’s stuff. But now hype is starting to let me down…

SKETCH PLUGIN PLZ, WE WAITED SO HARD :sob:

1 Like

@uedvincent Are you a professional? Do you also use other software? what software do you use that have these features?

thank you

Having a way to import layered design is one of my pain points, too. Using the restore function and and open PLIST was still an option I’d wanted to explore but it is so essential that it really shouldn’t be a hack or at least Hype should have an official IDE plugin system before a third party creates an importer like this.

Yes, I’m a professional UX and motion designer. In this field, basically popular motion design tools are support this feature. For example:

@uedvincent excellent; and how much money do you spend per year on apps that do what you ask ( for html5 animaitons)?

I work for a relatively large Internet company, and the tools are basically purchased by the company. For personally, it costs about $200, which is basically used to buy some third-party plug-ins(Sketch and After Effects plugins). For me, efficiency is the most important.

There’s nothing new to report at the moment - this would still definitely be great to add (but is no small task). We don’t comment on upcoming features or make promises on release dates. Thanks for the additional feedback!

1 Like