How to add sound bites on timeline

(Tony Bosley) #1

Sorry, but I’m no html5 expert. I just want to be able to drag sound effects onto the time-line like I would do in Flash, but I see this is not possible in Hype.

It requires html code for every instance of every sound effect on the timeline. (what a hassle). But anyway, I need to learn how to use this program.

I’ve tried following every instruction I could find on the net to get this accomplished, but nothing works.

From what I can see, it appears that every sound effect has to be activated by the user pushing a button somewhere in the animation. What if I just want to make a cartoon animation, and have the sound effects play at different parts of the animation, the same as I would do in Flash?

If this is a dumb question, let me know! On the other hand, if anyone has a completed animation which includes sound bites along the time-line, I’d love to examine your actual Hype file so that I can see how it’s put together. My address is info@adgraphics.com. TIA

(Rick) #2

It can be as simple as creating a timeline action and adding the soundfile(s) to it.

(Tony Bosley) #3

Can this be done in version 2.5 as well?

Yes – audio actions were added way back in 2013 in Version 2.0.

(Tony Bosley) #5

Ok, I succeeded in creating a timeline action and was able to place little sound bites at various points along the timeline to coincide with my animation. That works. I also used the On Scene Load javascript function to place a general background music soundtrack.

So all that works. Thank you. I noticed however that there seems to be no way to adjust the volumes of these items within Hype. In order to bring the background music soundtrack down, I had to edit it outside of Hype and then replace the track to the On Scene Load window.

The same would have to apply if I wanted to adjust the volume of the sound effects along the timeline… I’d have adjust them externally.

That’s fine… I can get through that. It’s cumbersome, but it’s workable at least. I was just wondering if there are any plans for volume controls within your program, or is this something you can do with Javascript?

(Rick) #6

Using the top right search function (sound volume) I got a lot of hits, this one might be helpful to what you’re looking for: Creating volume slider for Hype audio element

If not, search and who knows what you’ll find. :slight_smile:

(Tony Bosley) #7

Yes, this information you’ve given me is to do with placing a volume slider into the animation so that it’s visible to the user.

I’m not concerned about having the user adjust the volume. I was just wondering if there’s a way to adjust the volume level of audio elements you bring into your animation, but I see that Hype simply doesn’t support that functionality at this point in time.

No biggie. It’s just a matter of making sure that your sound bites are set at the right volume before bringing them in to the animation. Thank you for your response.

@TonyBosley

Controlling sound via JavaScript is fairly straightforward - here is a quick tutorial:
https://www.w3schools.com/tags/av_prop_volume.asp

Be aware that mobile devices (e.g. iOS - do not know about Android) do not allow JavaScript manipulation of sound; so You might be better off anyway with the direct editing of the source audio.

(Tony Bosley) #9

Thanks for your input.

Everybody seems to think that my goal is to add a volume fader which will allow the user to control the volume of the soundtrack in the video.

That’s not what I’m talking about. All I’m looking for is a way to adjust the volume of any audio file that I’ve added to the timeline. Let’s say for instance, I add a “blip” sound to a cartoon, and then decide it’s too loud relative to the rest of the cartoon. So I’ll want to adjust that. There doesn’t seem to be a way to do that within your program… yet.

Nevertheless, I’m sure that this is a function that you’ll probably add to later versions.

So for now, if a sound effect is too loud or too quiet, we just have to edit it outside of Hype.

Hi Tony!

Actually that was not the point of my post. What I was trying to show was You could change the volume in JavaScript - You the author of the script, not the viewer. It is not a fader, it is a volume setting. So if You felt the volume was too loud it is a snap to drop it down - just adjust the script, takes no time!

Set the volume to 80% of “native” (100%):

var sndLevel = hypeDocument.getElementById("myAudio");
sndLevel.volume = 0.8;

Note: You can not increase the volume over the 100% mark of the “native” volume.