Google Adwords (Google Ads) Best Practices

Did you double click and install the adwords package from: https://tumult.com/hype/export-scripts/?

You should see it in the HTML5 section and also in the Advanced Export option as a dropdown.

This is a Tumult Hype Pro feature, so if you are on Tumult Hype Standard you won’t see it.

Thanks for the quick reply Daniel. I am a standard user so that explains it.

1 Like

Iam lost here. Trying to upload a file to Adwords validator, using the new Adwords script and I keep getting the zip file error. Archief.zip (91.0 KB)

Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong? Is it the font?

I have all green at the Double Click validator…

So yes it was the FONT. Adwords won’t allow embedded fonts, where it is not issue with DCM…

good going Google.

Yeah no embedding fonts I’m afraid - you should export all text as transparent png files and have no live text fields for full validation.

That’s real advanced tech from Google there. :+1:

You have to cater to the ads being delivered on multiple platforms & screen resolutions. Live text can run into all kinds of problems. Having the fonts embedded as an image keeps them visually perfect and ensures they look exactly as you want them to.

You can however use Google Web Fonts to use their live text library they have some great fonts - but any other custom fonts are best used as image files.

I’m speaking from a digital display ad developer of many years, its what we have found to work best.

1 Like

Thank you!!

I understand but using scripts for counters etcetera doesn’t make things much easier. I’ll start up the old Adobe Fireworks machine :joy:

Since JsDelivr has now been added to the approved Adwords vendors list, and the new Hype Runtime is hosted on that service, you can now reduce the submitted ZIP package size of your Adwords ads by using the external runtime. The https://h5validator.appspot.com/adwords/asset page isn’t working at the moment, but if you are interested in testing a version of the Adwords export that leverages the Hype CDN you can download this export script to test:

AdWords-hype-cdn.hype-export.py.zip (4.1 KB)

This export script will work with both Hype 3 and Hype 4.

Let me know if you have any issues with this version of the export script and we can move this into these changes into the official export script release.

1 Like

Hi

Using the external CDN for the runtime, we have an error message like this.
No errors of course if the runtime is included.

The specific complaint is about the data file+loader (index_hype_generated_script.js) and not the runtime file, so I'm surprised that changing the runtime setting has an effect.

If the error is accurate, then it might be complaining about the cache buster ?61304 random number string at the end because it is being strict in URL parsing. I would suspect from the error that clicking "inline data file+loader" in the Advanced Export panel will solve the problem.

Either way, would you mind sending me a DM with a zip of your .hype document? I'd like to try to reproduce this problem. Thanks!

If we must add the size of the ad in the Head of the document, why Hype does not do it for us? :wink:

Also it turns out that creating more than one size is useless, the Google Ad validator seems to read only the first size it finds. Correct?

Why am I getting this error?
Why is there a "32761” after the name of the included runtime in the folder?

This possibly is the issue... @jonathan's reply just above your last two posts. This nomenclature is used as a cache buster.

1 Like

Ah, didn't see it. His proposal to add "inline data file+loader" solves the problem.

Both the AdWords and DoubleClick DCM export scripts will do this for you. The also will disable the cache busting ?61304 at the end and allow validation to pass.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if your document contains multiple layouts then I would expect it to only find the first one; I believe you can only have one meta ad.size tag anyhow. Have you looked into exporting each layout individually in the Advanced Export? Note that you can also assign export scripts per each of the export slices.

1 Like

hi there, related question.
I've had an ad rejected by a publisher - they've said there is no clicktag. Used the DCM export script and when i test using the h5validator there is a row of ticks but if i click on the ad, there is no confirmation dialog popup. Could someone possibly take a look at my file and let me know if i've gone wrong?

You need to select an element and give it an 'exit' On Mouse Click like this:

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 1.34.13 PM

Ideally, this would be a opaque rectangle the full size of the ad if you do not have a specific button.

1 Like