GIF export never finishes - Using Older GIF Export Engine

Several times I’ve tried to export animated GIFs but after the progress bar completes, nothing happens. I can see the progress bar strobing as if it is processing, but it never ends.

If you can post (or email support@tumult.com) your .hype document, that would be useful.

In v3.6 we changed to using a tool with better colors/filesize, but sometimes an export can take a ridiculously long time in the last step (and I guess potentially forever if you are seeing that!).

There is a method to use the older GIF export, should you ever hit issues via this terminal command:

defaults write com.tumult.Hype5 AnimatedGIFEngine Apple

For anyone experiencing issues, we’d appreciate a bug report via Help > Report an Issue… before changing to this method.

To change back, you can use:

defaults delete com.tumult.Hype4 AnimatedGIFEngine

That’s it. I tried to export it again. From the time the progress bar finished to the completion of the job was around four minutes.

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions, duration, and framerate of the animation you are exporting?

600x400, main TL 4 secs, 2nd TL 6.5 secs.

BTW, the GIF that took four minutes beyond the completion of the progress bar was a different file. Processing the GIF for the fireplace example took a quarter of an hour.

Thanks - that is a bit of an absurd amount for such a short animation. Aside from changing the method with the defaults command above, if you choose a FPS that is evenly divisible by 100, it will be faster. There’s an extra step that happens when it isn’t divisible by 100 and that appears to be taking a large bulk of the time.

1 Like