Dropbox discontinuing HTML rendering / Public Folder

I do not use Cyberduck but this should be just a straight copy and replace, I would suggest not to do a merge.

I assume in cyberduck you have a view that shows you local files and one that shows you machighway public html area.

Just copy from you local too the public html area.

With Hype exports you would need to update the whole export which includes the resource folder not just the index file.

Also make sure you are using the new’ish machighway servers and not the old ones.

I had an issue where they did not tell me they had switched servers to new ones so I was uploading to the old ones ok but not seeing the changes happen when going to the site in a browser. Really bloody annoyed when I found out why my updates where not being seen.

I do not have the details to hand but emailing them and asking if you are using the right ones…

Any way that’s as much as I can suggest as you have not mentioned any specific problems you are having

I use Cyberduck & Fetch - both work the same way - basically a Mac folder interface… drag and drop etc. Have had no problems - I like each program. Cyberduck seems to work with more kinds of FTP sever set-ups.

I tried several FTP software but now I use TRANSMIT
..and CODA for editing

@michelangelo

Have always used Coda :wink:

Let me know if you need any clips? or modes?

I use Transmit and have for, I think, about 8 years. No issues.

Guys,
I think we need @latestproject to tells us what the actual problem is they are having with updating … :wink:

probably yes but I'm not sure, I used coda only for the editing online

Jim,
Thanks for your imput.
Dragging and dropping which folders into Cyberduck? Are you including an index file, and from where?
I know it’s tedious, but your set-by-step (Hype to Duck to live url))would be super helpful.

Hi LP!

I drag the files & folders that I created for the web site from my hard disk into Cyberduck’s window. In Fig.1 below, the location on the FTP server which I am dropping files & folders is the “public_html” folder which is inside the “root” folder for the site.

In Fig.2, which is showing the contents of the “public_html” folder, I dragged the “graphics” folder containing (surprise!) the graphics & images for my web site. An HTML page called “greywaterinfo.html” and the “home.html” page were also in the drag group. That’s it - we’re done.

A note on the name “home.html” - this is the default name my server likes to use instead of “index.html”. I originally named my file “index.html” but I changed its name to “home.html” when I uploaded this page. Since I did not reference “index.html” anywhere in my code there was no issue with this name change.

If “index.html” was important to my code I would have had a bare bones page named “home.html” that simply did a redirect to the “index.html” page in the “meta” tag in the “Document Header” of the “home.html” page… something like (this is off the top of my head, please research further for accuracy):

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url-http://index.html" />

The “0” in "content="0; " just above indicates an immediate switch to the “index.html” page (i.e. “0” seconds), the “home.html” page is not displayed to the viewer.

Fig.1 - The root folder ("/") containing the “public_html” folder

**Fig.2 - Inside the "public_html" folder**
2 Likes

Mark,

Since we’ve lost Dropbox support, I’ve been making revisions to a Hype site and need to update these revisions to a live link. Simple, it would seem.

Folder on desktop contains html and Hype resources. I want to load them to a server /provider and need procedure to see it through to live link.

Is Google Drive also an option?

Thanks Much.

LP:

Here’s a very basic description of what a Web server does, because this might help clarify what’s going on with a Web server, and what you need to do to get a file to work correctly on one.

These are very general notes. You will have to apply intelligence to use them in your specific circumstance.

All web servers behave in an almost identical fashion. When a URL is entered in a browser (such as www.tumult.com), the browser initiates a connection to the server and looks for a file there called ‘index.htm’.

Forward-slashes following the main URL (www.tumult.com/hype/) indicate directories or folders on the server hosting the website. So if you were able to browse the Tumult server, you would see a folder there called ‘hype’, within which would be another ‘index.htm’ file. (Among other things, such as images, which load in the ‘index.htm’ file when the browser displays it.)

When you’re attempting to upload a file to a Web server and you want it to load automatically in a browser when the site is accessed, the file needs to be called ‘index.htm’.

To prepare your Hype project for upload, you’d have something like this on your hard drive (exported directly from Hype to your hard disk):

[Folder] my_project
[File inside folder] index.htm
[Folder inside folder] index.hyperesources

That’s not how it will look when Hype first exports it. What you’ll see instead is something more like this:

[Folder] my_project
[File inside folder] my_project.htm
[Folder inside folder] my_project.hyperesources

As you might guess, you’ll have to rename at least one item: The my_project.htm file. Rename it to index.htm.

If your domain is called ‘mydomain.net’, and you upload the folder called ‘my_folder’ to it, the way people would access it in a browser would be to enter mydomain.net/my_folder/. The browser would then automatically locate the ‘index.htm’ file (your Hype project) and display it.

Programs such as Cyberduck allow you to browse Web servers (that you have authorized access to!) in a way similar to how you look at files and folders on your computer. Usually, but NOT always, the Web content is contained on the Web server in a folder named ‘public’.

So to upload your ‘my_folder’ folder through Cyberduck, you would:

1. Connect to the Web server through Cyberduck.
  2. Open the ‘public’ folder on the Web server.
  3. Upload ‘my_folder’ into the ‘public’ folder.

From that moment on, the ‘index.htm’ file contained in ‘my_folder’ will be accessible to anyone who goes to mydomain.net/my_folder/.

Google Drive does not render HTML either, so it’s no more an option than Dropbox is.

I cannot underscore enough the necessity of your learning the barest minimums about how the internet actually works, if you intend to do any productive work on the internet at all. Take some time to read books or take courses on HTTP and how it works. Do the same for FTP. Learn the basics of HTML, at least to the extent that you know what tags are, what a hyperlink looks like, and how external files are referenced.

You don’t necessarily need to know how every single aspect of each internet protocol does what it’s doing, but you should be able to at least understand the difference between HTTP and FTP, and the different things you can and can’t do with them. Get to know the protocols and what they’re doing on the back end, so you don’t find yourself in the situation of needing to do something that really isn’t particularly difficult, but not having enough familiarity to get started with it.

4 Likes

Just a small aside,

The index file can more commonly have the extension of .html

Also before renaming you Hype html file you should make sure you understand the layout of your site.

you may not need to rename them all and may only need to rename the top level ones.

But there are also reasons to have each directory on the site contain a index.html or index.htm file. Which prevents people accessing the parent directory in the browser and files you do not want viewed.

The problem here is a general one related to website managment.

Do as @warrenaosuggests and read up, the internet itself provides many sites with information on what to do and how things work.

3 Likes

It only needs to have the name of “index” if the Hype project is output as a site. Even then, a Hype site can have a menu that points to other Hype-generated pages. The only kind of sites that I ever output straight from Hype are simple three or four page starter sites with a handful of cool-looking animations and a preformatted Hype slide show product tour. I do this for our dealers who don’t have a site and don’t have much marketing sense. If I can talk these guys into paying for hosting on GoDaddy or elsewhere by offering them a free starter site that focuses on our products, they make more money, so we make more money.

For any serious sites, I use a proper web development app and insert Hype content.

I’m curious what Hype plans to do about this. It seems to me that Hype could replace “publish to Dropbox” with an alternate like “publish to FTP,” in which case we put our credentials in for say, our own web hosting, and choose a folder and always have Hype push the published projects to the same place.

I was previously using a combination of Dropbox and my web host’s file manager to upload published Hype project folders but uploading using my host’s file manager is very inconvenient. A replacement that has versatility is needed.

Thanks…

Transmit is a good solution

I think what mike simpson is trying to say … is something like what Hype had with dropbox. An easy to use menu option like “publish to …” Just one click and Hype would upload the export to a place and generate a link to it. :wink: There are of course many options to export to HTML and upload to FTP servers of course Transmit being one of them.

I would love this feature very much.

But I appreciate that adding Dropbox to an app was much more easier than adding a built in ftp client. Dropbox provided all the frameworks and you only had to deal with a single server.
This would have taken out much of the pain of dealing with different FTP server configurations from the developers point of view.

So unless Tumult wants to deal with the added headache of built in FTP client and all it’s support issues then I do not hold out much hope… but you never know maybe they could team up with Panic and create a plugin the rides on the backbone of Transmit. Which to me would be a much better road to take. ( although I just remembered that Panic have Coda, so maybe not )

Dear Darren,

Thank you so much for your input here. I am keen on uploading my Hype Project onto GitHub for another site to reference. I am unfamiliar with GitHub’s command prompt so am very keen on using the GitHub Desktop. The video you have uploaded for this is unfortunately inaccessible, could you please upload this again? That would be a major major help to my project, many thanks in advance!!

All the best,
Jez

Jez,

Please check out this video for hosting using GitHub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-P-ArNnduA

Thanks so much!

Darren

2 Likes

Well, there's a name I haven't seen in a long time. :raising_hand_man:t2:

I think this thread just solved one of the problems with running a Tumult Hype Game Development competition.

...where to host the games?!