Does Hype generate BAD code?

Hi all,
I have few dev friends who say that Hype generate a really bad code which could push down the server in case of very big numbers of connections.
Is it true? you Tumult Guys what you would answer to this affirmation?

ps: i’m a graphic designer and I eat thanks to Hype, so if you could tell me what is true I appreciate it

I think this shows a fundamental misunderstanding regarding either how servers serve files, or how Tumult Hype documents work.

Tumult Hype generates files which can be served by any web server that can serve static files. It does not require PHP, Python, or any server-side language to do any processing.

Tumult Hype exports that receive a large number of hits count against your web hosting provider’s bandwidth. Hosting static files typically does not require huge processing power. For extremely popular documents, we recommend hosting on a content delivery network like Cloudflare, Cloudfront, or something as simple as via an S3 bucket.

But let’s say you have several 1 GB video files loaded in your Hype document and you get 1 million hits. This might overload your server if it is just a single piece of hardware. But any front end or backend developer would have placed an export with file sizes like this on a content delivery network where you pay per GB transferred.

Tumult Hype documents don’t require open connections to servers. The static files are downloaded and that’s that. So if you have 1,000 people viewing a Hype document, there is no greater server load (after the initial static files have been downloaded) compared to 1 million people viewing a document.

4 Likes

YEah! Thanks Daniel! This is a nice Answer I can Splat in their Face!!! Thank you, cuz anytime I’m trying to tell’em that Hype doesn’t give me any problem, but they attack me with argument unknown for me.

Thanks! this is much more clear!

1 Like

The only thing that I would like to add to this discussion are the following downsides for Hype:

• Hype exports depends on JS and need a runtime
    • People using NO-SCRIPT-Plugins or people that disabled JS don’t get the content
    • Meaning: You need to deploy a fallback or at least be aware of this
  • Hype is rendered in the browser and therefor most search bots don’t see the structure and content of the file
    • Meaning you need to add the content in a hidden div for SEO
  • Hype deploys it’s runtime in the folder of your animation. This might save tumult and Hype from a central repository but you will be loading the runtime multiple times as the runtime has different URL’s… given you use more then one Hype-Animation on a page or even if you use different animations across pages. With a central Runtime you would benefit from caching!
    • To avoid this behaviour you need to use the extended exporter (Pro) or manually tweak the exported files

These are some thing you should consider when using Hype… that in mind…

Hype rocks

5 Likes

Hi, I’m a graphic designer who works with Hyper Pro in the development of web and app, for years not to say from the beginning. And I can guarantee you that it is an urban legend. Hype Pro is a powerful interaction tool that can be as simple as it is complex to use; what happens is that many developers see that their world is losing space every day with software and development services of web pages, templates and more, (WordPress is one of them), but for my opinion they are very limited because you depend on a gallery of templates that often does not adapt to the tastes of the client and customize it is complex and depends on many codes. Hype Pro allows you to create, design and develop your as a designer and do not depend on a developer who half the time will “tell you that you can not”, but with Hype Pro your imagination is the limit.

Note: Tumult does not pay me to use its software but I do earn $ with it but most importantly I enjoy what I design and the customer is happy under my control.

To forget, if you have any problems you have Yoda, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi among others. (that is to say, Jonathan, Daniel, and more)

2 Likes

I just want to add some color to these downsides, not contradict them as downsides:

By default, Tumult Hype exports all text content used in your document in a hidden DIV during export. So if you use search terms within a Hype document (like on this Hype document) you'll see results in Google:

38 PM

It definitely will lose formatting and typical information that a basic HTML structure, but individual words are not completely hidden from search engines.

Just to give a sense of numbers here, this is about .2% worldwide. Most of these visitors are visiting from Tor, Finland, or East Asia: https://blockmetry.com/blog/javascript-disabled (:finland: is a surprise!)

True but there is also development in these areas (WordPress-->Gutenberg etc.). I agree that Hype makes it very easy to create amazing things but it is not the Hammer for every nail. Specially when content is dynamic and the size/length of content is variable the absolute positioning is in the way and one needs to work around the specialization on Animation. One thing I specially agree with …developer make systems sometimes so complicated that if you want to change something small it is very complicated. It can feel like creativity is restricted by a wall of glass and one has to use complicated joysticks to manipulate the things to mold something. Hype feels more like one actually just can knead the creative mass with the hands.

I spice up pages with Hype and clients are amazed but replacing a whole Page/CMS would be a bit premature but for One-Pager and Prototyping I actually totally agree.

I love Hype for it's openness and if one really want's one can use it for so many projects!

Very nice project, indeed!

I don’t think it’s bad code. Hype is pretty light weight compared to what a typical Content Management System does to a server. However, just like Flash, it depends on the person creating the project.

As an example, Hype could be used to display map tiles. That would be a lot of web connections, which is not suited for a conventional web server. If you were going to have a million people hit that site, Hype is the wrong tool for the job.

For adding eye candy on a website, such as pretty banners or web games, Hype can be fine.

I think Hype could optimize the download a bit. I liked how Flash was a single file. A Hype project can contain hundreds of images. If you’re into server optimization, that’s a problem. Yet, Hype can still be OK in that situation, it just requires a little more work to optimize the project... such as creating sprite sheets.

Slack vs this forum is a good example. Slack puts the emoji in sprite sheets, makes them load quick. Try using the search for emoji option here on this forum... big difference.

But in general, static HTML is usually a trivial operation. I’ve been using Hype for years and I never once heard any server guy say to me, “Wow, dude, your Hype project is slowing down the server.” Photics.com has lots of Hype projects too. My site usually loads quick.