Create Image Sprite at Export

1. What do you want to see in Hype?

At export have a check box "convert resource graphic/assets into image sprite" but keep all the resources image within the hype file.

1. Have you found a workaround for this problem?

Often times one has to create the image sprite in advance and then bring it into hype and use content overflow to hide many images and make multiple cut outs which would work like a sprite with one image request.

1. Are there examples of other apps with this feature? Or, have you seen examples of this elsewhere on the web? (Please include a URL)

2. How high of a priority is this for you?

It would greatly improve and fundamentally change the way hosted projects are loaded with a single request for an image vs many requests.

Sprite Sheets?

When you use this feature, imported separate images are combined into a single image (a sprite sheet) so just a single image is downloaded but the slices can be used in your animation

The notion of creating something ahead of time is a bit limiting because it messes with the creative process when building any project.

For me ideas form organically like when placing images, text, shapes… on the canvas or the stage not before bc the project is still being worked on.

The idea here is fundamentally a different one.

It would be great if hype one day sees the images brought in on the stage mainly pngs as it would use the size of the image(s) on the stage and at export create from the many images in one image. It would automatically create them groups with overflow hidden all based on the size of the image so any placement, links, behaviors added to previously would be carried over.

I own an use (occasionally) TexturePacker

1 Like

I'm curious if there's a specific metrics that you are using or that are enforced on you regarding the number of loads?

(I'm not saying it isn't a problem or a valid request of course - I'd just be interested to know more about the justification and if you have data evidence this will improve your ads or if there are ad server policy needs?)

BTW I saw that I made a tutorial including a Custom Texture-Packer-Exporter (Pro-Version)

1 Like

There was an observation made by our dev, there are too many requests resources loading mainly images, he inquired if we can limit the load with maybe one image referring to a sprite. He mentioned it puts a bit of a strain on the server since he's not only loading images but does other things loading feeds/data… which can lead to him restarting the server as a in/direct cause of a crash.

In my mind sure, but this means I have to preplan what needs to be done before anything I set on doing from
conception and then after the design is completed in hype. This means I have redo it in a way where everything is in one image.

Which is why I thought, wouldn’t it be great idea if hype does this at export or if not I can select the images on stage (stage size preserved) right click and create image sprite out them all them which can in turn create an overflow hidden groups for every image and remove the previous image layers/hide them?

1 Like

I have the same requirements when it comes to requests. Personally, I almost exclusively work with inline SVGs. If there is ever a need for a bitmap, I also include it inline as base64. Although this slightly increases the data size, in combination with ImageAlpha and Max Hype Compressor, it is not a problem.

1 Like

Thanks @petester and @ktewes for the additional context!