Anyone submitted ads to Trade Desk?

I've created some ads that are being served by Trade Desk. In the head of my ads, I've included the precise JS that TD's specs state, plus an external clickTag function.

The ads were kicked back, stating: "You must include at least one click tag or select the Display & Video 360 environment in Google Web Designer and an exit event in your HTML file in order to set a click-through URL for your creative."

I'm unsure why my attached ad would throw this error. I've sent an inquiry back, but it's through several layers (agency, media team, etc) so I thought maybe I'd ask here in the meantime. This ad passes Google's HTML5 validator when I test it.

(I've stripped the logo and headlines here, for client confidentiality)
display ad fail.zip (106.0 KB)

It may be that they have an automated system which looks for where the clicktag is being called -- you could probably fool them by placing it in the head?

And then running goToUrl(); on click.

(If it is run as a Hype function, it is harder to scan without a person manually 'clicking' on the ad)

Oh, interesting. That makes sense, tho. So now with the goToUrl function not being external, what is the method to run it on click? It's not something that can be selected under Hype Actions.

Here's how that would look in Hype:

display ad fail 2.hype.zip (106.5 KB)

2 Likes

Gotcha, so there's still an external function, it's just not the clickTag part. Thanks so much! I'm still waiting to hear back from TD (of course). I'll post back when this is proven to be the solve.

I created a few test files for the media team to validate with Trade Desk, each with different clickTag configurations. As it turns out, it was the very code that their specs specified that was causing the errors. :person_facepalming:

Removing the getParameterByName function and using var clickTag = ""; is deemed valid.

I didn't actually provide them a test with my original "external" clickTag code from my Hype file above, because I was thinking that was the problem. But I'm 99% sure that would be fine as well.

Thanks for the update! If you have any other techniques for others submitting to Trade Desk, let us know.

While this might be off topic, I did work with Trade desk in past but it was using Flashtalking exports vs Hype, they always had a process of how they wanted their ads to be exported and more often than not, we were going back forth so I can relate to the headaches. Would love to see the type of ads you produce in real time.

Yep, Trade Desk may very well unseat Sizmek in my category of the most back and forths. I've got some selects of my work here, @petester.

1 Like

Absolutely great work Daryl, awesome use of color, fonts, rollover, transitions... I love it when I see hype is used to create such great work. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you! All were developed by me, only a few were designed by me. I like to align myself with agencies that have killer design chops. Beautifying the digital landscape one banner at a time! :laughing:

1 Like

:smile: :+1: