A Book About Hype (3.5+Pro) 📘

No problem, I just repurchased it on my Macbook, a lot easier than trying to make the sync feature work.

It’s worth it to have the book on both machines.

But it illustrates why I use almost no Apple software, ALL my important apps are 3rd party.

Apple just isn’t the company they were 20 years ago in terms of user friendliness.

It does show how good the 3rd party developers like the great people at Tumult are!

3 Likes

If anyone else is having this problem, the book can be purchased directly in iBooks. While the book is currently an iTunes Book Store exclusive, the iTunes app isn't necessary.

If you log into iBooks with your Apple ID in iBooks, previous purchases should appear.

• View > Show iCloud Books

Another reason for creating this book was to test iBooks again. Apple fixed the problems I had with iBooks Author. This book was to decide if I was the one screwing up or if it was just Apple's ecosystem. I have been struggling with the idea of giving up on the iTunes App Store / Book Store. There are advantages, but also disadvantages.

So far, the new book doing well... A New Book, A Good Start – Photics.com ...and alternatives to iTunes have issues too. Apple has fixed the problems I've mentioned before.

The makers of Sketch are pulling their app from the iTunes App Store. That might get a lot of attention on this issue. My approach is different. I've been sending lots of feedback to Apple. They've solved lots of problems over the years.

2 Likes

“View > Show iCloud Books” True, if iTunes is working correctly, but in my case the menu in the left upper corner only showed Audio Books, which I have never bought, and nothing I did would make it toggle to Books. It’s ok, I got the book on my Macbook in addition to my desktop Mac, and that is the more important point.

The book is well written in common straightforward language, I appreciate that.

1 Like

Sadly, this thread no longer has an "Extremely high like to post ratio". It's now only "very high". At some point, @gasspence stopped liking the posts. HA HA. Maybe he's too busy reading the book.

There is some good new though... Tumult Forums ...now the "Reader" badge is more accessible.

Read every post in a topic with more than 100 posts

This thread has over 100 posts. For some reason, I didn't get the badge though. It doesn't really mean anything, and yet I'm having fun collecting the badges. Silly gamification! It's like saying, "I'm Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2006". This is true. I am. Although, unless you're not older than 9, that seems to apply to everyone else here.

2 Likes

Badges, we don't need no stinking badges! (from Blazing Saddles, movie)

2 Likes

That line reminds me of UHF. :upside_down_face:
Weird Al, now mentioned twice in this thread. HA HA!

1 Like

What would be helpful would be a big chapter on using JS in Hype. I’ve been having problems due to missing something that is probably very basic and JS gurus on the forum, while trying to be helpful, tend to leave out key elements, turning things into a detective mystery. A chapter that covers this, along with a half-dozen examples, would be great.

I co-authored a major third-party Adobe manual a few years ago. One thing I learned was that while many authors of software manuals are big on the “what” and “how” (left-brain content that is learned by rote), they can often disregard the “why” (right-brain content that reveals what is happening behind the curtain). Example: “Item A takes user input (in this case, clicking on object 1) and stores it in item B, which item C accesses and passes along to item D. As a result, when the user clicks on object 1, it is multiplied by item D to create result that is displayed in object 2.”

By explaining the mechanics of what is going on, this gives the reader the ability to apply this understanding in order to synthesize new stuff.

1 Like

I suspect that doing that would not be an easy task in a single chapter, more like a whole new book.

JS is too broad a subject and at the same time very specific to a need.

A simple chapter for JS would be Best Practices and also include Best practices when sharing JS with others.

i.e use meaningful Variable Names. and Commenting :
Instead of :

var n  ="John";
var  f   = hypeDocument.getElementById('fn');
f.innerHTML = n;

we do:

//-- Give Person a first Name    

var PersonFirstName  ="John";

//--  we get the first name label 

var    firstNameLabel   = hypeDocument.getElementById('firstName');

//--  we set the first name label 's displayed text
   firstNameLabel.innerHTML =  PersonFirstName;
2 Likes

I would bet that you could do something very simple with four or five very basic examples – just enough to make something happen – and I’d bet this could be done in 20 pages. (How much would be involved in “hello world”?)

The average Hype user is not a JS coder. The idea of spending several months to totally master JS when a project is underway is not likely. Because of this, the average user is in need of some really basic stuff — a few simple working examples that demonstrate some principles and how to use Hype to make use of the scripts. This could be followed by a list of links to cool JS / JQ scripts and notes on how to take an existing script and plug it in using the tools provided by Hype.

I would think that this should be something that Tumult could get behind. If they want to increase sales by promoting Hype as being JS-friendly, a couple dozen pages of newbie-friendly documentation would make a big difference between a steep learning curve and a mile-high brick wall. At present, the situation with JS in Hype is “experts only need apply”.

A few years back I contributed a good-sized chapter to a Photoshop special effects how-to manual. I know that writing a third party software manual is a lot of work and it involves a moving target. I definitely appreciate the challenge involved. Your project could be quite valuable, so power to you. I know that you will do a great job.

1 Like

Umm... Chapter 4 is JavaScript. Chapter 5 is Examples.

Chapter 4 JavaScript

• Section 1: Adding Code
  • Section 2: Don't Panic
  • Section 3: Parameters
  • Section 4: Get & Set
  • Section 5: Bouncing Explained
  • Section 6: Saving
  • Section 7: Scenes
  • Section 8: Timelines
  • Section 9: Symbols
  • Section 10: Drag Events

Chapter 5: Examples

• Section 1: Coloring
  • Section 2: Grinding
  • Section 3: Sliding
  • Section 4: Shuffling
  • Section 5: Picturing
  • Section 6: Indexing
  • Section 7: Timing
  • Section 8: Navigating
  • Section 9: Arraying
  • Section 10: Controlling
  • Section 11: Scaling

Someone mentioned that about one of my previous books. So, I actually stop and explain things in this book. The word "why" is used often in the book...

That’s why it’s important to understand how coordinates work on the web.

Why does it matter? It depends on your project.

Why would an element need three different names?

Why go Hype Pro?

Why does it do that?

That is why much of Hype’s API starts with “hypeDocument”.

Why is it only 0.2 seconds?

Why does Tumult do this?

The book has a casual writing style, to make learning less tedious. Additionally, the interactive examples also take the lessons to another level. It shows how JavaScript can be used in Hype, to create real world projects. The book itself is an extreme example of this.

This is true. I didn't cover everything about JavaScript. That's a whole topic for a book. The JavaScript chapter is more about the Hype JavaScript API and examples of how JavaScript can be used to do more things with Hype.

Thanks @jonathan and @Daniel for adding the book to the Tutorials page...

It looks nice! Did you specifically choose the first page of Chapter 2 as a promo image, or was that just sorta random?

Also, thanks for mentioning the book on your blog...

2 Likes

The book is now available... A Book About Hype

Great! May you sell a zillion copies.
How many pages?

1 Like

The iTunes listing says 169 pages, but the book is an ePub. What's a page size? What's the font size? The page size depends on the device. The font size depends on the user preferences.

For fun, I opened the book on my iPhone 4. (It can't run the interactive examples, but it can display the book.)

It said "7192" pages.

I specifically chose that. It was between that and the atomic animation, but that really would require a gif. Happy to feature it!

1 Like

Well, today should be a busy day for Tumult. Hype 3.5 is available. Now that the upgrade is available, “A Book About Hype” should be even more useful.

Yes your book comes in very handy now. Playing with the new scaling now and reading how and what is a great help.

Did you include all new features of 3.5 in the book already?

1 Like

I like that! I'm glad the book is helpful.

All new features, no. Much of Hype 3.5 is covered though.

A Book About Hype is currently the #1 iTunes book in the Computers & Internet category! (United States)

2 Likes

And in the UK.

1 Like

Your book has made me realise how much I need to really get to grips with Javascript.

1 Like

Darn, got all excited to hear about this book but it’s not available in my local store. Any chance you’ll be selling it elsewhere in future?