🕹 "Year of Fun"

I'm not sure my project qualifies, but I'll upload it and you be the judge.

It's hard for me to pinpoint whether it's a game, a comic book, or just a movie, but it might be a little bit of everything.

7 Likes

exceptional!

i'd guess that this kind of work is what Hype is made for ... :+1: :heart:

3 Likes

It's good! :smiley:
I don't think it's a game though. :confused:

With 9 episodes, I didn't go through all of it. This is a huge project. Is there something in particular that you think makes it qualify as a game?

Maybe you're right because there is only one plot like in the interactive books and the user decides nothing. Maybe the next time I'll make a different directions of the characters and the plot and the user will be given a choice.

@michelangelo hypedocks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems silly to go to law on this one, but the recent Epic v Apple Judgement has a thoughtful consideration on what is/is not a video game (on page 68):

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21060631-apple-epic-judgement#document/p68

A key excerpt:

At a bare minimum, video games appear to require some level of interactivity or involvement between the player and the medium. In other words, a game requires that a player be able to input some level of a command or choice which is then reflected in the game itself. This gaming definition contrasts to other forms of entertainment, which are often passive forms enjoyed by consumers (eg. films, television, music). Video games are also generally graphically rendered or animated, as opposed to being recorded level or via motion capture as in films and television.

I of course would not want to be a gatekeeper for definitions... either way the Drama in Panama to me qualifies as fun :smiley: and is an absolute achievement in storytelling and usage of technology+Hype!!!

3 Likes

Very nice job! I love the idea, bravo!
Just added to the Web Gallery in HypeDocks, Featured Work

2 Likes

Thank you so much guys!
I'm so glad to hear that you like our project!

2 Likes

Well, there's another month left to enter the competition. “Drama In Panama” is a work of art though. I don't recommend changing the vision for your project to match this competition — unless it makes your project better.

For now, I listed “Drama In Panama” as “Honorable Mention”. Currently, it's not planned to be included in the game poll next month, but it is fun. So, I added a link. It certainly is noteworthy.

Your Hype project appears to be a genre to itself. It's not a game, it's not a book, it's not quite a movie either — it's something new.

The main point of the “Year of Fun” is to show off what Hype can do and to help developers get their projects noticed. It looks like you've already accomplished both. :smile:

2 Likes

I can't say how flattered I am! Did I mention that I have been working on this project with my friends for nine years? :smiley: No, I'm not crazy, but I think it's very important not to leave things undone, even when there's no direct benefit to doing so. In this case we had no budget and did everything on goodwill.

1 Like

I have too many unfinished projects to hold myself to that standard. :laughing:

Over seven years ago I registered picopede.com and I'm still nowhere close to finishing that game. That's just one project. There are at least ten other app ideas waiting for attention. I still have Widgets to improve too. Heh, and I started Photics.TV so I could better promote all these projects. There are at least eight video ideas, not counting the dozens of Hype videos. That's not even mentioning the book projects. Whew!

The idea of goodwill is interesting though. I suppose I could spinoff some of the projects as open source. I'm not sure that I will though. I prefer the idea of just doing it myself or perhaps hiring a team — but you're not the only one with a problem of no budget. :smile:

Today is the last day to enter your game into the competition. Voting starts tomorrow.

1 Like

Adding a last-minute addition I just whipped up to participate :nerd_face:.

Play Game

The whole game is run by a single function:

// Fetch physics engine and elements
var hypeDocElm = document.getElementById(hypeDocument.documentId());
var engine = hypeDocument.getElementProperty(hypeDocElm, 'physics-engine');
var sceneElm = document.getElementById(hypeDocument.currentSceneId());
var birdElm = sceneElm.querySelector('.bird');
var birdSymbol = hypeDocument.getSymbolInstanceById(birdElm.id);
var birdBody = hypeDocument.getElementProperty(birdElm, "physics-body");

// not init run
if (event.type != 'HypeSceneLoad') {
	// key press run
	if (event.type == 'keypress') {
		// Photics mini template
		Matter.Body.applyForce(birdBody, {x: birdBody.position.x, y: birdBody.position.y}, {x: 0, y: -.02});
	}
	return;
}

// settings
hypeDocument.gameSpeed = 1;
hypeDocument.points = 0;
hypeDocument.isDead = false;

// Event listener
Matter.Events.on(engine, 'collisionStart', function(event) {
	if (hypeDocument.isDead) return;

var aElm = document.getElementById(event.pairs[0].bodyA.elementId);
	var bElm = document.getElementById(event.pairs[0].bodyB.elementId);

// play dead animation and stop game loop
	hypeDocument.isDead = true;
	hypeDocument.triggerCustomBehaviorNamed('die');

});

// game loop
hypeDocument.startAnimationFrame(function(time){

//keep upwards
	hypeDocument.setElementProperty(birdElm, 'rotateZ', 0);		
	if (hypeDocument.isDead) return;

//move obstacles
	sceneElm.querySelectorAll('.item').forEach(function(elm){
		var xPos = hypeDocument.getElementProperty(elm, 'left');
		var rePos = xPos < -100 ? 800 : 0;
		hypeDocument.setElementProperty(elm, 'left', xPos - elm.getAttribute('data-speed')*hypeDocument.gameSpeed  + rePos);

var rowNr = elm.getAttribute('data-row');
		if (rePos && rowNr){
			var upperTubeElm  = sceneElm.querySelector('.upper'+rowNr);
			var lowerTubeElm  = sceneElm.querySelector('.lower'+rowNr);
			var topPos = -Math.round(Math.random()*160+200);
			hypeDocument.setElementProperty(upperTubeElm, 'top', topPos);
			hypeDocument.setElementProperty(lowerTubeElm, 'top', topPos + 560);
		}
	});

// increase difficulty over time and progress
	hypeDocument.gameSpeed *= 1.0001;
	hypeDocument.points += .1;
	sceneElm.querySelector('.points').innerHTML = Math.ceil(hypeDocument.points);

}, {id: 'gameloop'});
6 Likes

The poll is now online. My work is done — unless there's a tie. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Link? Maybe start a new topic for the poll so it gets its own visibility?

Nah, it's pinned. People will see.

But if you're sending out a newsletter between now and somewhat before November 20, 2021 — that might encourage a lot more people to vote.

Where's your game though? HA HA!
Too bad, I thought Tumult was going to enter the competition.

I thought it was until the end of the year!

Well, assuming the developers don't take the games down right away, you get to play the games until the end of the year. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The Year of Fun certainly got jipped as this thread wasn't posted until April 20, 2021. That's one of the reasons for keeping everything in one spot. So, people can easily see the history. The dates weren't changed.

The poll is closing soon. Who will win? :thinking:

UPDATE: November 20, 2021 — Today is the last day for voting.