Wrapping Xcode Errors

Greetings all,

I've created a simple interactive animation in Hype—a slider that controls the opacity of an image to reveal an image underneath. Basically you see a painting and using the slider you can reveal an x-ray image of the painting.

I then use the Wrapping app to prepare it for Xcode.

Once in Xcode, I received an error. I'm way out of my element here. I don't know any kind of coding at all. My expectations was to convert this into an iPad app to use as an interactive piece in a museum exhibition. I don't know how to resolve anything in Xcode.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

HI! :raising_hand_man:t2:
Thanks for buying a copy of Wrapping. :blush:

Tumult doesn't make or support Wrapping. But since you posted here, I figure I should reply here.

The app should just work. That's the point. So, I'm not quite sure what went wrong. The error, from what I can see in the screenshot, seems to suggest that the HTML is not there.

Do you see those icons at the top left? What does it look like when you click the folder icon? Basically, I'm trying to see if the Hype project (the HTML) copied over correctly.

Here are some other questions.

• Did you use the Wrapping App or the Wrapping Hype Export Script?
  • Which version of macOS are you using?
  • Which version of Xcode are you using?

Hopefully we can get this problem solved, as it sounds like a cool project. :smiley:

UPDATE: I just tested this out with the latest version of Xcode — Version 13.0 (13A233). It worked, so I suspect that it might be a local problem. Perhaps it's aggressive anti-virus, a network drive issue, macOS permission issue (are you saving to the Desktop?), or some type of system administration thing? This is all theoretical though, as this is the first time I'm seeing a report of a problem like this.

One suggestion would be to retry “Wrapping” the Hype project again. That's lame sounding tech support. Heh, it's like saying, "Did you restart your computer?" — but it really should just work.

Thanks for replying so quickly! I'm using MacOS 11.6 and using Xcode 13.0.

I used the Wrapping App. In the package, there are two folders: one labeled HTML and another labeled iOS. Here are some of the contents:

1 Like

Hmm, that's interesting... really interesting actually.

The HTML output is not as expected. For some reason, your Hype project and a wdgt project is in the HTML folder. It should just be...

• index.html
  • easel3000.hyperesources

You're using the app, so it expects an “html” folder with an index.html. So, you do have several options. There's the lazy way of simply renaming easel3000.html to index.html, and then deleting the other unnecessary content from the HTML folder.

Recommendations...

If you bought a copy of Wrapping from Etsy, you might prefer the Hype Export Script. That should create an export without any trouble.

If you prefer to keep using the App version, the problem is that it's setup to work with an HTML folder with a main “index.html” file. You can use the Advanced Export settings to do that, but I prefer using the "index.html" script that I wrote...

index.html.hype-export.sh.zip (1.1 KB)

So, you have a lot of options to solve this problem.

1. Rename the “easel3000.html” file to “index.html” (Quick, kinda sloppy, not recommended)
  2. Try again, but with a clean export from Hype, creating a main “index.html” file. (The export script can help too. This is a more proper way to fix the problem.)
  3. Try again, but with the Wrapping Hype Export Script. (This is recommended, since you have Hype.)

I actually just used the Wrapping script (rather than the app) and it worked!!!

Thank you so much for your time! And a wave :wave: hello from a couple hours up north in Hartford, CT :blush:

1 Like

Great!

So, if anyone else stumbles on this problem… Thread 1: Fatal error: Unexpectedly found nil while unwrapping an Optional value …check if your html folder has an “index.html” file. That's how “Wrapping” works. It requires an index.html file.

But if you really like the way your main HTML is named, then you can simply change a line of code in Xcode…

let url = Bundle.main.url(forResource: "/html/index", withExtension: "html")

…not really recommended or supported for Wrapping, but it's nice to have options.

Nice! :smile:

1 Like