Video/audio chapter markers?

howdy :slight_smile:

is there a way for Hype to display exported chapter markers created from professional video editing software, for example, Apple's Final Cut Pro, Compressor?

i opened a video in Hype but it is not seeing the already created chapter markers.

ive created chapter markers to navigate the playhead to specific topics generated from timecode in fcpx's timeline which were embedded (XML & text) & available on export & downloadable from a website along with the video. in essence i'd like to preserve the chapter markers but Hype does not see them.

or,
is there a way to import the XML file into Hype or a CSV (comma-separated text file)
with all the chapter markers, names, timecode location & notes associated with them?

thank you :slight_smile:

Hype's video element is basically only a vanilla HTML5 <video> tag, so unless there's something specifically new in the spec for chapters, I don't think there's a quick built-in way to do this. But it should be entirely possible with some level of custom code.

Looking at it, there's often 3rd party libraries used to display chapter markers or at least a little bit of code that takes VTT files and presents them in a clickable fashion.

Generally you can include those libraries by dragging them into Hype's Resources Library, along with the video file and anything used (like a VTT). Then you can use these in an empty rectangle element via the 'Edit > Edit Element's Inner HTML' menu or sometimes via the Head HTML from the Document Inspector if needed. The files you added can be referenced via the ${resourcesFolderName}/filename.vtt type of syntax where "${resourcesFolderName}" is a magic variable that gets replaced with the correct folder name on export.

An example of using .vtt subtitles is here:

If there's a specific library or way you're familiar with making chapters for HTML video, feel free to reply back and we can offer more tips/guidance.

1 Like

ohhh, treasure! excellent, @jonathan thank you! :slight_smile:

“Generally you can include those libraries by dragging them into Hype's Resources Library, along with the video file and anything used (like a VTT)...The files you added can be referenced via the ${resourcesFolderName}/filename.vtt type of syntax where "${resourcesFolderName}" is a magic variable that gets replaced with the correct folder name on export.”

i will also dig into @Jeroen post, looks like some great resources in there :slight_smile:

side note,

in the early 'netscape' days browsers supported both video & audio (without video) chapter markers that one could create in professional moviemaking software then referenced the finished movie/audio podcast on an html page to play on internet browsers like netscape, omniweb, safari... these early browsers displayed/showed chapter markers in a pulldown contextual menu but this browser feature seems to have vaporized, so now looking for the workaround to that feature

interestingly enough the embedded chapter markers are preserved today in browsers but one needs to first download & open the downloaded video to utilized the markers for example open them in iTunes or Quicktime after the download

chapter index

expanded from pulldown menu (contextual menu)

I didn't continue to use Hype for this particular project but gobbled something together and the result you can find here https://jeroencarelse.com/MetaVideo/index.html

I am not good with coding, so to those with that skills may look awful. But it worked enough well to get the concept across, which was the goal.

2 Likes

Oh, that's a bummer that the browser doesn't display them even if they are in the file.

1 Like

it's an XML file used to bounce the movie with its techincal properties so that the other applications used on the project can talk to each other, for example, final cut pro to premiere or to avid or to blackmagic or to logic to compressor & back again, but we also use this workflow to build books, websites, dvds, movies, posters, ig, vimeo,... all from the same movie, we remix the data in those other formats, this way we control all the variables within the entire workflow in house

1 Like

nice work, jeroen, i like how you ran the text below the video using VTT, it is very clear

im going to study this further to implement it on my sites. we are researching documents of antiquity & want to reference the documents with quotes from the audio/video presentations we have created

thank you for the link to view your project! :slight_smile:

1 Like