Tumult Hype for Microsoft Windows

So my Mac Mini broke down and I had to buy a new one today. I am a Windows person but had to buy a new Mac since Hype is the software I use on a daily basis as a freelancer. So 1100 euros later I just have to bring this up again. I thought I would share this image with you. I really think you are limiting yourself not developing Hype for Windows and losing a ton of money in sales doing so :heart:

3 Likes

As you have clearly shown, Mac’s global market share is going in the right direction, just very slowly :-).

However, if you survey the graphic industry alone it would become much clearer why Hype was made for Mac :-). But that doesn’t mean that eventually there might not be a Windows version.

1 Like
1 Like

I'm sorry for your computer but you were right to buy another mac and it doesn't matter if it's for Hype but for the quality of your work.
I have a PC for 3D and every time I open windows I consume about three times compared to my M1.
As long as Hye is for Mac it will contribute to lowering the level of pollution generated by us professionals.
This takes into account ethics and not money.

Saola Animate = Mac and Windows is good.
Hype = Mac much power for work animtion website.

:sweat_smile: Alright then.

Thanks for the feedback. We're not strictly opposed to a Windows version, but typically have favored working on new features instead of porting and making future development even slower than it already is :sweat_smile:. The marketshare numbers don't really show graphic designer market share too well, but there's definitely a lot of designers on Windows as many design tools are either cross-platform and/or on the web. Taking a cue from Figma, it's actually more likely there'd be a web-version than a native windows one, at this point.

As a side note, I did just get myself a windows machine for PCVR gaming :flushed:.

2 Likes

Why don't you make a web-version, at least a smaller version. I work as a public speaker and are creating my keynote presentations in Hype, since it allows me to embed whole webpages, for example with live statistics and graphs from official sources.

The only problem is though, that I sometime want to change som text or some small thing in the presentation right before my talk, and when there is no mac available that is a problem.

Is there any way of editing a hype-presentation exported from HYPE? Or do I have to open it in HYPE on a mac?

Oh, just saw that mentioned a web-version in the very post I was replying to, sorry about that. But my question still stands, can I make any changes in an exported hype-presentation from a windows-computer or say an Iphone?

If you had a web server, that generated JSON, that could be edited elsewhere and then the Hype presentation could be updated dynamically.

That's technical though, so I imagine that's not what you're looking to do. :blush:

A web-based version of Hype makes sense though.

As a side note, I did just get myself a windows machine for PCVR gaming

Oh no, now we know what happened to Hype 5. :smile:

Gaming might be a fun way to get familiarized with Windows, but a web version of Hype seems to be more logical. In that scenario, if the device can run a modern web browser, then it probably could run Hype. That could make Hype ubiquitous.

If done well, perhaps Hype could even run on game consoles with modern web browsers. :smile:

Macs are generally better at saving power… and I noticed a huge difference on my electric bill when I switched from a Windows PC to a Mac Mini … but a Linux version of Hype could theoretically run on a Raspberry Pi. Like one of these… Buy a Raspberry Pi 400 Personal Computer Kit – Raspberry Pi

Also, if you're thinking along those lines, I doubt the enviromental savings of Mac vs PC is significant enough compared to buying a whole new computer… manufacturing, shipping, packaging, e-waste.

(Although, a new Mac Mini is cheap. It's $499 with educational pricing!)

Apple has been less than stellar about supporting hardware — specifically Intel hardware that's being phased out. (Apple is much better with iPhone / iPad support, so hopefully Apple Silicon dramatically improves the situation with Macs.)

I have a MacBook from 2017 that is no longer getting major version updates of macOS. (It stopped at macOS Monterey.) So, I put Linux on it. The LTS (Long Term Support) is amazing! That dramatically increased the lifespan of the machine — but it can no longer run Hype. :man_shrugging:t2:

It depends on your needs, any computer convertible to Linux is a profit but to do what?
I have some 4GB raspberries mounted on my 3D printers with Octoprint and one with 8GB for drawing with freecad. great stuff but I can't do everything with them.

Energy savings is my reference, 8 hours of work a day with an M1 are less polluting than the average. Considering this as a priority is a personal choice. The latest Mac mini is a good deal in my opinion.

That's sounds cool! I still haven't gotten into 3D Printing. I have looked at a lot of 3D Printers, CNC machines, and Laser cutters though. :smile:

It seems I could do most things on Linux. The main blockers are…

• Apple Arcade — I'm probably not renewing the subscription anyway
  • Disk Utility — I like how Apple does this, but there's probably a Linux alternative
  • Hype
  • Final Cut Pro — There are other video editors, but this is currently my favorite
  • Keynote — There are many office alternatives
  • Messages — This is a big problem. I don't want to be the guy with green bubbles. :smile:
  • Music — I bought a significant amount of music through iTunes
  • Notes — I like how iCloud manages this
  • Numbers — Spreadsheet, there are lots of alternatives, but Numbers is nice.
  • Pages (Word Processing) — Again, same story, lots of alternatives but iCloud is nice.
  • Photos — Simple way of managing photos
  • Pixelmator Pro (Image Editing) — This is my current favorite for image editing
  • Time Machine — Apple makes this simple, but there's probably a Linux alterantive
  • Xcode — I'm not sure I'll need this if I switch to Linux
  • Widgets — That's my app, which I probably could port to Linux

So, beside Hype, Pixelmator, Final Cut Pro, Photos, and Messages, I don't really need a Mac. I could even use the “iWork” apps online — which is a perfect example of how Hype could be a web app.

The latest Mac mini is a good deal in my opinion.

I saved $30 a month on my electric bill. I was using my computer almost 16 hours a day, and it had a ~450 WATT power supply with a power hungry graphics card. The fan noise was quite loud. Switching to the Mac — big difference.

I’d want to see a web version of hype one day.

1 Like