Timeline markers plus 'Next marker' or 'Previous marker' Actions

I know you can go to a specific time in a timeline but I’d like to have the option to (a) set markers in the time line then (b) have Actions that go to the ‘Next’ or ‘Previous’ marker.

e.g. Stepping through an animation.

In Actions:
On Mouse Up > Action: Go to Next Marker in Timeline
Timeline: Main Timeline

Option: Named markers.
e.g. Marker name: ‘intro’, time code: 00:00:00
Marker name: ‘stage 1 - equipment preparation’, timecode: 00:05:03
Marker name: ‘stage 2 - patient preparation’, timecode: 00:11:01
etc

In Actions:
On Mouse Up > Action: Go to Marker in Timeline
Timeline: Main Timeline
Marker: ‘stage 2 - patient preparation’ (select from ‘Markers’ dropdown list)

Animation Menu
Could add new options:

• Next Marker
  • Previous Marker
8 Likes

Thanks for the detailed request, Peter!

1 Like

+1

In addition… the ability to set the markers in the timeline with a keystoke: “Insert” menu > “Add Marker” > “M” (keystroke shortcut) while the timeline is playing. When using Apple’s Motion program this sort of capability has proven a real productivity enhancer, especially with longer involved scenes that use many different props~graphic elements, as you can set cues dynamically (as the base animation plays) for the timeline location of the entrance~exit of the various other elements.

This feature would increase in value when Hype can play audio while the timeline runs and your elements need to be synced tightly to a rhythm or narration.

4 Likes

+1 +1 :slight_smile:

+1

This is also related to

and this

Another vote for timeline markers. :slight_smile:

Right now, a workaround I’ve been using is to create empty timeline keyframes. If would be nice if I had markers that were a different colour, to make it easier to distinguish between markers and keyframes.

I’m using the markers to help with audio syncing.

2 Likes

and also in After Effects

???

2 Likes

Was this implemented in Hype 4, I don't see it in the trial version I'm running.

Timeline markers are not a feature implemented as of the latest Hype v4.0.x. Don't worry, the request has not fallen off the radar :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

If I can add to this request as well.
I work with Logic Pro X and what I'd like to do is the ability to import as a text file the markers from Logic Pro X.
I know manually I can write down the times in Logic where a beat is, let's say, then I can add in Hype an action at that timeline, but if I could import a text file with that information, then now it's a reference when doing motion with Hype and now the animation will be in sync to what the markers that I set in Logic so when I export the video from Hype, I can put that into Final Cut Pro or ScreenFlow to create the full video.
Just a crazy idea that I had to make cool videos with Hype 4 and the vector graphics you guys added.
I already am looking at a hack to do. I'll see if that will work.

2 Likes

That's an interesting idea! I'm not too familiar with Logic Pro X -- is there any chance you could provide a small logic file with this marker information, instructions on how to make the export file that Hype would need to consume, and a sample of that type of file? That would help tremendously and I could see how feasible importing this would be... I assume it is a simple enough format. Thanks!

1 Like

I may be off track .. but I can imagine writing a html page, setup for users to annotate markers like that, for people who don't have Logic Pro X but want to do something similar and the page could write the text file out for hype. ( if of cause you can get an importer working )

similare to this.

http://markosx.com/hypeTests/videoCues.html

2 Likes

The file you should work with is a MIDI file, since all sequencers (Logic, Cubase, ProTools, etc...) can create MIDI files.
The MIDI 1.0 specifications already has where you can put markers in it.
The marker information is the start position (time) and the marker name.

I've attached a standard MIDI file with marker information.
The following picture is a program I wrote to view MIDI contents and as you can see, there's markers in the attached MIDI file.MarkerTest.mid.zip (852 Bytes)
http://www.vallisoftware.com/MIDIContents.png

If you can read the MIDI file, great, if not I could just create a text file with the start position and marker name with multiple entries on a separate line.
Since Hype is a graphics program I don't think it would be feasible for you to add a MIDI library to read a MIDI file, so that's why I mentioned a simple text file.

1 Like

Fantastic, MIDI is pretty easy to work with and there's tools that can help as well.

(FYI - I'm doubt we'd fully integrate it beyond reading markers, but Apple does provide a Core Midi framework that makes integrating MIDI into apps easy)

Thanks!

That MIDI utility program I wrote uses the Core Midi Framework.
I ran into problems using other 3rd party MIDI libraries when examining files from Logic, so since I use Logic that's when I decide to just use the Core Midi Framework.
My goal is to be able to create cool graphics with Hype4 but have objects sync to known positions, which the known positions would be reference points in my music, so every thing sync's up, graphics and music.
Again, using MIDI means you don't support a since sequencer, but all sequencers. Looking forward to this and keep up the updated features in Hype4, just upgrade to version 4 from version 3 now.

2 Likes

Cool - good to know that can work well with Logic files. Sounds like this could lead to interesting possibilities.. thanks!

1 Like