This is not fun

So I copied an Apple badge. Then the images (including the badges) on that scene disappeared. Still visible in the timeline actions list. When I wanted to quit Hype and start again I got this message:
The file is definitely on the hard drive (fusion) of my Mac.
Then I pressed ok and opened the file again. Surprise:
Bigger surprise:
This were the png images I had on the scene, but turned into audio and video.
The images of the other scenes have also completely gone.
Before this all I had copied the Hype file to another folder and did a “save as”.
What happened?

Sorry for the issue you ran into. We probably should continue this conversation via direct email to support@tumult.com as there is some personal data that we will need to diagnose further. Specifically:

• Can you send the HypeLog.txt file via:
    1. In the Finder, hold down option and choose the “Go > Library” menu item
    2. Enter in ~/Library/Containers/com.tumult.Hype4/Data/Library/Logs/
  • Can you elaborate what you mean by “apple badge?”
  • Was this a copy of the document while the application was running?
  • Are the source and destination locations on the same drive?
  • If they are on different drives, what are the formats of both the drives?
  • Are you able to restore via time machine and/or the ‘File > Revert To > Browse All Versions’?

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for replying. Here we go:

(Attachment HypeLog.txt is missing)

Schermafbeelding 2019-08-28 om 09.50.07.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-08-28 om 09.51.35.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-08-28 om 09.51.11.png

Thanks for sending those along. I have been investigating this and found a reproducible issue that appears to only happened with sandboxed apps (like Hype) when a file under a set of specific conditions can not get permission to access the file yanked from underneath it when moved. It looks like that might have been the case with your document, although I haven’t yet been able to reproduce in a Save As case or seeing the permanent storage issue. (It could be these errors are specific to your setup, but the root cause is the same).

This bug is quite alarming, and from what I can tell can affect any app. It may be particularly worse in Hype with how Hype treats resource files within its document structure.

Typically, I would think moving the file back to its original location while quit, opening the document, and then choosing File > Revert To > Browse All Versions… would let you get back to an old version, but it appears this may throw a lot of errors along the way. Instead, you may be able to manually recover the file with this convoluted list of steps to get the document out of storage:

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
  2. Enter in this command
    mkdir /tmp/recovered/; sudo find /.DocumentRevisions-V100/PerUID/ -name "*.hype" -exec cp -R {} /tmp/recovered/ \;; sudo chown -R $USER /tmp/recovered/; open /tmp/recovered/

It may take a while to run. It is copying all Hype documents out the version storage and putting it in the /tmp/recovered folder. At the end, it should open up this folder
  3. It may be a lot of files, but you should be able to look at them (probably using the spacebar with Quick Look in the Finder) to hopefully identify an older version of your document.

I hope that helps.

1 Like