Suggestion - Show actual path to linked files

Have the means to see where a file actually exists in the Resource Panel.
For instance, you can link files from different areas and it’s good if the file is updated, it updates in the Resource area after a confirmation prompt.
BUT, if you have more than one instance of the file on your computer, there is no way to actually track down which file is used in the Hype project. I expect it can be traced through tearing into some raw code but there is benefit in knowing which same named file is actually being used when you need to do a simple edit.

Also the linked ImageOpti does not work on a Mac. I could not find a Preference to tell it that the app was in my primary Application directory.

Actual file path exists in the data.plist:

The first part is a good request. A “Show in Finder” option seems like a good idea.

As for the second part, that seems like a problem with the computer locally. It looks like you have .svg files associated with ImageOptim. Perhaps this is because ImageOptim has the ability to optimize SVG files now too.

So, here’s how to fix that… maybe :wink:

• Find the file on your computer. (Heh, that would be easier if there was a “Show in Finder” option in Hype
  • Right-Click or Ctrl-Click the file and there should be an “Open With” option – use that!
  • Select the program for editing SVG files and check the “Always Open With” option

The application you select should associate .svg files with it. That means double-clicking the file should launch the selected application.

Part of the problem might be that you don’t have an application to edit SVG files. There are many… Illustrator (Expensive), Affinity Designer, iDraw (now called Graphic, but I like the older version) and many others…

That information might help you to solve the second problem. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

As a general note (which sounds like you are aware): files themselves are copied into the .hype document. The Resource Library listing does try to preserve linkage to the version on disk so that if updates are made externally, Hype can ask to update its version with the one from disk as a nice workflow feature.

A bit of inside baseball -- the originalPath isn't used for that much nowadays, the actual linkage data is in the securityScopedBookmark. This is a data structure that is similar to an alias and can preserve the linkage in the face of some transformations on disk. It is also a requirement for a sandboxed app like Hype, paths can't quite get the job done.

Hype v1-v3 disables this button from working for a variety of technical reasons.

Hype v4 will have a new "external editor" feature where this works and you can also modify Hype's copy of the file directly.

1 Like