[Suggestion] New timeline with element properties at selected time

It would be pretty beneficial to have a button that creates a new timeline with the current timelines properties.

E.g. the new timeline will have all the element properties at the selected time. If I’m currently at 10 Seconds in the timeline, the properties of all elements at 10s will be the properties at 0s of the new timeline.

I hope I explained it well. If there is a way to do this I would love to know. Right now I have to create a Pause timeline action and continue from it, but this only works if there is only 1 “Extra Timeline”

Great suggestion!

One way to do this right now (though not as easy as what you’re describing) would be to move to the time in the timeline you wish to use as your ‘jumping off point’, make a new timeline, then select all elements, hold option, then click one of the ‘add new keyframe’ buttons. This make a keyframe on all enabled properties in the properties list:

I’m extremely confused :confused: I’ve tried so many times to replicate the video, but as soon as I create a new timeline, the new timeline starts from the beginning of the scene, and not at the end of the previous timeline?

I’m using 3.5.3 if thats anything to do with it.

Okay I figured out the problem, this only works if you go from Main Timeline > Timeline 1.

If you then Try and go from Timeline 1 > Timeline 2, It will always use the properties from the beginning of Timeline 1.

Timelines themselves can be thought of more as “streams of animations” than having intrinsic properties of elements. As they can be run at any time/in parallel with other timelines, there’s really not a singular way to represent the state your document will be in.

Take the example of a box that has no animations at all. If you make a new timeline that has no animations, why would it be in a different state?

So the behavior is that when editing other timelines, the “basis” is the playhead of the main timeline. It is more of a compromise — your objects might be in that state/position, they might not depending on what other timelines were run. Conceptually it doesn’t really matter as the timeline will contain the animations you want to manipulate it with. In theory we could have an option to “root” the timeline from a different timeline, or from the effects of running multiple timelines, but this would just be complex and likely not used frequently. However you can change the playhead time of the main timeline if that helps when editing.

However you can change the playhead time of the main timeline if that helps when editing.

What did you mean by this.

Say I have a timeline with buttons on it. Each button opens page A (Opacity 0 -> 100). This page then has two buttons that can open page B or C. when you click for B to open, I want page A to go 100->0, and then B: 0->100.

Is the correct method to make relative timelines with all pages at 0 opacity, then turn the ones I want open 0 -> 100 and the ones I want closed 0 -> -100?

I have a feeling this will collapse when there further pages are added?

As an example, make a document that has a animated rectangle on the main timeline. Now make a new timeline. If you change the playhead position on the main timeline and go back, the position of the rectangle is the same on the other timeline.

To clarify terminology, timelines don't have buttons, they only have animations. Scenes or symbols contain elements and timelines.

From what I think you are describing, yes, relative timelines are the way to go. However it wouldn't be from 0 to -100. It would be "from 0 to 0", or to speak more to relative timelines, it becomes "from current value to 0".

[quote=“jonathan, post:7, topic:9029”]However it wouldn’t be from 0 to -100. It would be “from 0 to 0”, or to speak more to relative timelines, it becomes “from current value to 0”.
[/quote]

I’ve created a new keyframe to do ‘from current value to 0’. It transitions better than the 0 > -100 method, but it only seems to work 3 times.

I have attached a small document:
Timelines.hype.zip (10.6 KB)

You’ll want the right rectangle to use the “Start Timeline” action instead of Continue. Start will reset relative keyframe values, whereas continue will keep whatever values were there. (this is extremely subtle and not represented well from a UI perspective, so totally our fault!)