Ski Jump .hype file missing something to work correctly

Hello:
I have been playing around with a Hype Ski Jump example game found on the http://tourdehype.com website.

Ski Jump Game Link:

In the related download file, the final provided .hype file from the site does not function like playable link.

Folder from site example download link:
020 Final.zip (3.0 MB)

Issue: Trigger Symbol not animating and push button not active.

Any help to sort out how to get the example working from within hype would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick McLean

Does anyone else notice that the .hype file when run does not match how the link responds? Looking for advice on why the .hype file is not matching intended game response.

PM

did you consider contacting those 'TourDeHype'-Guys...¿
I'd guess they'd like to know that one of their samplefiles does not work .... and of course -> will help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I was thinking the same idea. However, when I sent a message to mail@designlab.io found from the bottom of their site, the email message returned not valid. If anyone has a better contact reference for me to use, I would definitely try again.

PM (o:

The problem is this line in the jumpAction() function:

var currentTime = hypeDocument.getSymbolInstancesByName('jumpTrigger')[0].currentTimeInTimelineNamed();

There's no timeline name specified as an argument. I think Hype was overly lenient about this in past releases so it probably worked with older versions (which is what got published). The fix is to change the line to send in "Main Timeline" as an argument:

var currentTime = hypeDocument.getSymbolInstancesByName('jumpTrigger')[0].currentTimeInTimelineNamed('Main Timeline');

After making this change it all seemed to work fine.

I have their direct email address so I will reach out to them. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Jonathan!
With the javascript change provided above, it is working better, however, the JumpTrigger symbol doesn't animate prior to the user clicking the Jump Button.

Best Regards,

Patrick McLean

Ah, good catch. We always try to keep documents as operational as possible, but it looks like this one is hitting some changes from v4 that wound up breaking it!

In this case, v4 is much better about synchronization between a parent symbol and timelines. So when the timeline action is set to pause the main timeline of the scene, this now affects the jumpTrigger symbol and that gets paused as well.

The easiest way for me to start this was just to make a javascript API call at the top of the init() method that starts the symbol's main timeline:

var currentTime = hypeDocument.getSymbolInstancesByName('jumpTrigger')[0].currentTimeInTimelineNamed("Main Timeline");

SkiJumpingGame.hype.zip (1.5 MB)

2 Likes

It's working! Thank you very much Jonathan and Hans-Gerd for responding! This is one of my new favorite examples due to it switches timelines in a fun way. :grinning:

1 Like