Scenes or Timelines - what to prefer

I'm about to create an interactive map for cross country paths/tracks. A map as background and perhaps 30 tracks, each one animated when user pushes a the actual button.
First attempt was to create one scene and add a timeline for each track. To organize and to help scaling I put a track and the corresponding button in the same group.
Second thought – should I go for scenes, one for each track?
I would be glad for some advice how to go along.
Sincerely Jocke

Um… neither?

While I might still use Hype to solve that problem, as it could be helpful to manage multiple screen sizes, I'd probably use JavaScript. A similar question regarding interactive layered maps was asked earlier on this forum… Rogue Button Behaviors on animation

To answer it, I created this video…

It depends what you're trying to do though. I like leaflet.js for creating interactive maps, but I haven't used it to create routes though. If you're manually creating the maps, and manually creating the image layers, you might not need to use leaflet.js.

This works because it's basically the same background… planet earth. It's only changed once and the code is modified to handle that. So, in your project, is it one overall map or are there several different locations?

Also, if JavaScript is too complex for you, then maybe this Hype template might be the way to go…

https://photics.com/free-template-tuesday-22-tumult-hype-menu/

…it's a menu, where a “persistent symbol” is used to navigate through the different scenes. It sounds like you're using animation with each map, so switching through scenes could be used to restart those animations easily. (The scenes change, but the menubar stays put — it's a persistent symbol.)

I don't think 30 would fit well on a bar like that though, not unless it had submenus. So, I think the bigger problem is imagining the interface first, then figuring out how to build it.

Can you draw what you want to create? :thinking:

scenes may simplify things as many timelines in one scene may lead to complex setups. keep it easy :slight_smile:

1 Like

See… he's keeping it simple. :smile:

With a fairly big number like 30, there's a lot of repetition, so my reaction is to use code to automate it.

But when you think about 30 separate routes as layers in one scene… that is messy. So, if I had to strictly pick between scenes and timelines in that scenario, it's probably scenes.

Thanks!
I made a scene with the map as background. I put the map in a group and draw the track. Set scaling.
Then made a button to trigger scene 1. And made that a persistent symbol.
Second scene. Pasted the group from pervious scene. Deleted the track and draw a new. Edited the button symbol by copy/paste and set scene 2 as target.
Repeat, repeat…