Randomize 3 timelines and start the choosen one

Hi there,
how can I create a custom behavior that run a javascript to randomize 3 timelines and finally start one of the three?

I studied the random scene javascript function and tried to emulate it but it does not run at all. Any suggestion?

var links = ["timeline1","timeline2","timeline3"];

function untitledFunction() {
      // Chooses a random link:
      var i = Math.floor(Math.random() * links.length);
      // Directs the to the chosen target:
      hypeDocument.startTimelineNamed(links[i];
      return false;

}	
      untitledFunction();

I followed the Max Zieb instructions about using chatGPT and I've got this running code for me:

// Get an array of the names of all timelines
  let timelineNames = ["attivita1", "attivita2", "attivita3"];

// Generate a random index from 0 to 2
  let randomIndex = Math.floor(Math.random() * 3);

// Pick the timeline at the random index
  let timelineName = timelineNames[randomIndex];

// Start the randomized timeline
  hypeDocument.startTimelineNamed(timelineName, hypeDocument.kDirectionForward);
1 Like

is this based "On Scene Load" < Javascript?

The reason you initial code did not work is because of a syntax error.

When code does not work, it is always best to see what the browser console is saying before you go down a rabbit hole..

hypeDocument.startTimelineNamed(links[I];

should be

hypeDocument.startTimelineNamed(links[I]);

I assume chatGPT could have told you that also if you asked it why the code is not working?

Also apart from the original code being inside a sub function inside a hype function for no real good reason I can se, imo where it uses. * links.length
is better than a hard coded number as chatGPT has done.

2 Likes

ChatGPT seems to have basic problems with closing parantheses - so my repeated experiences...

If you want you can use this code on scene load to randomize 3 or more different timelines. I've personally used this in a custom behavior but that's your choice.

I totally agree with you. Better to manage the code and do stuff by yourself. I didn't notice the error and I didn't think either to check the code with chatGPT. But I did this check now so the answer is yes, it spots the errors, look at the image

2 Likes