Pro Tip: Backup Your Computer šŸ˜„

ā€¦and if you are backing up your computer, are you sure your backup works?! :thinking:

My Mac Mini crashed on Groundhogā€™s Day. Likeā€¦ really bad! Over the past three days, a lot of time was devoted to recovering lost data. You can read about it hereā€¦

My SSD failed and my Time Machine backup didnā€™t work as expected. It was very tedious, but I managed to get my computer back to normal. I learned some lessons during this crashā€¦

• I miss Snow Leopard. Heh, this version of Mac OS X seems newer than Sierra.
  • SSDs are scary! Sure, theyā€™re fast. But when they break, they can break suddenly.
  • If youā€™re pushing your old Mac, while waiting for a new Mac, some preventative maintenance might help you get to your goal. (If I couldnā€™t recover my Mac Mini, I might be buying an expensive MacBook Pro right now.)
  • Check your backup! Time Machine is great. But it didnā€™t work as expected. Running Disk Utilities might be a good idea. Multiple backups might be a good idea too.

Hey @jonathan ā€“ Maybe Hype should have iCloud support. It could be a good replacement for Dropbox.

2 Likes

Unfortunately is a paid service but it was my solution for the ā€œunlimitedā€ backup.
I use CrashPlan since 2009, the peace in mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have my OS and User folder + programs on an internal SSD and everything else on different disks, external and internal.
Since external SSDā€™s are pretty cheap I bought 3 of them and filled 2 of them with CarbonCopy clones of my current OS and user folder + programs. On top of that do I run TimeMachine.

Not sure what else to do but keep my fingers crossed. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Once lost a HDD with Costumer files. My thought at the time was: ā€œIā€™ll have time to make a backup later, must work nowā€.

That was an exspensive and painful experience.

@michelangelo I will have a look at CrashPlan.

The backup online is the right solution, the cost is affordable and it is less than a new disk every two years ( we are talking about a backup only, not sync).
After a couple of months in upload you are safe. You can access to your data from a phone too, very useful and easy to use. As I said, "the peace in mind" :slight_smile: