Previewing within Hype and Masking imported objects or pictures

1. What do you want to see in Hype?

Two things: Ability to mask imported images (crop without resizing) and when Previewing in Hype, I want the timeline to stop where Inserted pauses, or play audio/video where I inserted audio / video, rather than going back and forth to a web browser.

1. Have you found a workaround for this problem?
    Nope.

2. Are there examples of other apps with this feature? Or, have you seen examples of this elsewhere on the web? (Please include a URL)
    Keynote or Powerpoint allow intricate masking options. Previewing is specific to hype.

3. How high of a priority is this for you?

[ x] Nice to Have
[ ] Important
[ x] Can’t use Hype without it

About masking imported images, will this help maybe?

1 Like

Hi Gary!

To add to what @Rick4F presented above... here is an example of a moving mask using @MaxZieb's "ClipPath" method. The mask as seen in the linked file is a vector that was adjusted in shape as it moved. The linked file is a screen capture of a Hype preview. This Hype project was an experiment to test the possibilities.

Note: You can do simple masking (square or circle) by grouping the image and adjusting the group boundaries with "overflow" set to "hidden" in the "Metrics Inspector". To get a circle - adjust the corner radius of the Group (rectangle) in the "Element Inspector".

Separately:

You can have video & soundtracks play in Hype's Editor window (what I call the "Stage"). Drag the video or soundtrack file onto the Stage and it will appear in the video track.

The key point for sound tracks is that they need to be saved as an ".mp4" which tricks Hype into placing it in the video track. You can only see one selection at a time on the video track but they can overlap, be dragged to various timeline locations, and be assigned various properties (the properties keyframes are always visible).

Below is a screen shot of an animated spotlight effect (video) fading onto the model's face (also a video).

While not an ideal situation this set-up has proved functional for me in many projects - it might prove useful for You as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

As @JimScott pointed out video will show in the scene editor with a video track.

Here are links to his hacks using video to show audio waveforms:

(of course autoplay of audio generally won't work in a lot of browser contexts without user action first)

Thanks!

JimScott

April 29

Hi Gary!

To add to what @Rick4F presented above… here is an example of a moving mask using @MaxZieb’s “ClipPath” method. The mask as seen in the linked file is a vector that was adjusted in shape as it moved. The linked file is a screen capture of a Hype preview. This Hype project was an experiment to test the possibilities.

Separately:

You can have video & soundtracks play in Hype’s Editor window (what I call the “Stage”). Drag the video or soundtrack file onto the Stage and it will appear in the video track.

The key point for sound tracks is that they need to be saved as an “.mp4” which tricks Hype into placing it in the video track. You can only see one selection at a time on the video track but they can overlap, be dragged to various timeline locations, and be assigned various properties (the properties keyframes are always visible).

Below is a screen shot of an animated spotlight effect (video) fading onto the model’s face (also a video).

While not an ideal situation this set-up has proved functional for me in many projects - it might prove useful for You as well.

1 Like