"Preview in Editor" checkbox for Content Overflow

1. What do you want to see in Hype?
    Please add a "Preview in Editor" checkbox to Content Overflow in the Metrics tab. The point being that we put our scrolling content into a group and then use Auto Scrollbars on that group in Metrics. However in order to edit the content of the group we have to change Content Overflow to Visible, make the edits, then change back to Auto Scrollbars. Repeat for every layout. It would be productive to have content always visible (and editable) unless "Preview in Editor" checkbox is ticked.

2. Have you found a workaround for this problem?
    The workaround is tedious.

3. Are there examples of other apps with this feature? Or, have you seen examples of this elsewhere on the web? (Please include a URL) Adobe's apps often feature a "Preview" checkbox.

4. How high of a priority is this for you?

[ ] Nice to Have
[ X ] Important
[ ] Can't use Hype without it

I am not sure having this is worth something being added to the UI,

You can create you own temporary solution;

Set your groups up as normal with the auto scroll.

Add a class name to all the groups in the layouts i.e overFlowing

( you would actually do this before you make the layouts, so you do not have to repeat stuff )

Then add a css to the head file

<style>

.overFlowing{
 overflow:visible !important;

}

</style>

It is then a simple matter of toggling the comments on the property ( with the property selected, use cmd + / )

auto

visible

Then remove the css when you are all done.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I think the way we want to deal with this is when entering a group in the editor, the overflow would automatically change to visible so you can deal with anything inside the group. Do you think that would work for you?

(Until then, @MarkHunte's solution is a good workaround)

2 Likes

Yes that sounds like a very intuitive solution. Thank you for considering this. I can’t tell you how many times I forget to switch back to Auto Scrollbars after making edits.

1 Like

Hi, Was there ever any consideration for adding this feature? I've been updating my Hype site again lately and it's such a pain to switch between Visible and Scrollbars every time I make an edit. I have 3 layouts and 7 scenes in my site. I'd really appreciate your consideration for adding this feature.
Thanks!

I ran into that yesterday.

The problem though I think is a global option to just turn all off or all on may not be the best thing if you need to visually see some off and some on.

But I suppose you use it or you dont

You possibly could have a debug js search for the elements and toggle the vis.

Hopefully this will reach the developers for discussion. It’s really frustrating to have to turn it off and on repeatedly, for me. Making updates to several pages and layouts with all my content on grouped layers that are set to scroll is all just too much. To the point where I’m just wondering if I’m using the right program. That makes me sad because otherwise I really love Hype. Or perhaps there’s another way to create scrolling panels??

Is there a program that does what Hype does and what you want?

Cant promise anything but if I get a chance I will look at if a js debug script will do this with the hope of just adding it to the head and setting it to true or false when you want to debug

No other program that I've found. That's the problem. I really like Hype but this constant switching is becoming a deal breaker. It saddens me because I'm sure there are other users who experience the same thing but just haven't spoken up about it, and it seems like a feature many would appreciate. I don't understand how the workaround is the most viable solution, especially considering Jonathan's comment about this above (August of 2021).

Lol. I just started reading from you post.
Forgot all about the above, good to see I am consistent in my ideas any way.

So hopefully @Jonathan may have an update for you...

The one I posted above would be the most viable since there as time of its posting was all that was on offer. :smile:

But an JS solution may work better for existing projects..

There are no updates to announce at this time, but we definitely understand the frustration with the workflows involving content overflow and groups!

Thanks for chiming in. So is this something that's on your roadmap, or something with no plans to be integrated?

It is on the roadmap - we just don't make promises about specific features or their release dates as part of policy :slight_smile:.