Possible to change a font in several different text fields at the same time?

Is it possible to replace / change a specific font in an entire document? I mean, without having to go into each and every individual text box and change font.

If you duplicate your text fields with specific font you can also do that. So, create a text field with the font and then duplicate it and/ or change the content. Plus you could select all elements and change the font in the inspector that way.

Or, you could use CSS either in the Head HTML or an external stylesheet.

Many thanks for your kindly and swift reply! Then it is what I thought / feared, unfortunately. I mean, I have a document with eleven pretty big scenes and mixed typography, when my client suddenly wishes to change one font for another. I hoped being able to replace one font for another in the resource bank, or something. But I reckon, as you kindly suggests, css is the smoothest way to solve it at this stage.

Do you think there will be a “font swapping” feature like that in the the upcoming 4.0? It might not be the most sought after feature, but I reckon it would be highly appreciated.

Just assign a CSS-class and use the font-family. Might need a !important keyword.

This won't be for v4, but the notion of a Hype style class with changeable attributes is something that's on our radar. Specific font swapping is also an interesting idea!

1 Like

Great to read! I’m looking forward to it. Thanks for your response!

Hi MaxZieb, yes I need to learn how to do this - can you elaborate or point me to the right stuff :slight_smile:

I have a very long document that I want to import into Hype (many scenes many everything) and need the flexibility to mark up the text and be able to alter as I go along. So maybe I would start by marking up my document with several CSS-class’s like “classA” and “classB” and “classA2” and “classB2” and then be able to change “classA” to “classA2” at any time and then all of the “text” associated with “classA” becomes “classA2” changing the font/style. I don’t want to re-type all the text of course just change the CSS associated with a class. Make sense? Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Three thoughts on that:

• make sure to disable „protection from outside styles“ on your document

• use more descriptive names instead of „classA“ use for example „headline“ or „paragraph“

• define the CSS in your head section using the style tag and inside CSS notation (look that up if you don’t know what I am talking about)

• reassigning a class is done on the element itself. Reassign, remove or add a class in the property inspector. For example you assigned „headline“ and now need decided it should be rather formatted like a paragraph. Just remove „headline“ and add „paragraph“ in the inspector of that object

• if you mingle with a definition (in the head section) it will change all occurrences of objects that have this class assigned

Most of this tips are not Hype specific and rather basic CSS so most tutorials and YouTube videos on the inner workings of CSS can be consulted to gain further insight.

4 Likes

Hi MaxZieb, thanks! yeh I was just using class A, B , as example but will use more specific when the time comes :slight_smile: - I do have some homework to do but it would appear Hype will not hinder me and I can use CSS.