Point selection tool

1. What do you want to see in Hype?
    Now that I have been using Hype for some time, I have come up with some ideas to cover certain drawing and animation needs.

I'm aware that programming is an art and more complicated than it seems, so I only offer my ideas in case they can help in improving everyone's experience.

When working with vectorial drawing I miss a tool to select points (arrowhead) usual in vectorial drawing programs. This is very important when you work with open figures and you want to correct the position of the initial and final points of a curve. Or also the curvature of a line.
Hype, by default, tends to close the figures and this makes the work of vectorial drawing a little uncomfortable.
In this video the problem I have with Hype. Maybe there is already a tool that does this function but I haven't found it. If it exists it would be good to see it clearly, together with the rest of the tools such as pen, pencil or geometric figures.

1. Have you found a workaround for this problem?
    As you can see in the video, the solution I have found is to add a central point and touch on it every time I want to move one of the end points of the line.

2. Are there examples of other apps with this feature? Or, have you seen examples of this elsewhere on the web? (Please include a URL)
    As an example of the solution I put this other Affinity Designer video where I use the pen tool to draw the line and then the point selection tool to modify the position or the curvature.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4m92yqlcze9cyc/CurvasDesigner.mov?dl=0

3. How high of a priority is this for you?
    Hype can be used without this tool but it would greatly improve the user experience with respect to free vector drawing.

[ ] Nice to Have
[X] Important
[ ] Can't use Hype without it

This can indeed be uncomfortable as you put it.
I wonder if there could be a modifier key used to show the intention of growing the vector instead of the current way, of a click implies intention of growing.

But sayig that.

When you click the start/end point;
Keep the mouse down to perform your move.

If you want to adjust the control points then just do that, the thread will be ignored.

The thread will only try and join a start and end together.
Going to any other point the thread will be just ignored.

If you are on an end point and want to go to the start point directly after to adjust it's position,
release the mouse and tap the esc to drop the vector thread.
And the same from start to end point

3 Likes

Wow! It works. :open_mouth:
This is deep knowledge of the program. :sweat_smile: Thank you @MarkHunte

However, I think it would be more intuitive to add a more familiar point selection tool. These are very basic vector drawing functions that we are all familiar with (more than using the esc key), although I am unaware of the difficulty of programming them. If it isn't, there's a reason for that.

I think I will make a tutorial with the Hype tricks collection to make it easier for new users to learn.

1 Like

Thanks for the request and your thoughts.

As @MarkHunte wrote, using the escape key is the canonical way to get out of "add new point on an open path" mode since it will remove the selection on the last point.

I believe Hype stole this particular vector shape behavior from Sketch, so it isn't without popular precedent. I definitely understand a lot of folks come from Adobe tools and that hitting escape all the time can be a PITA. Personally, I always felt having separate vector tool modes along with regular tool modes to be a worse crime against good UI :slight_smile:. The goal for reducing modes is to reduce mental overhead and not have common situations where you can't directly manipulate in the desired way. There's probably some other UI way to solve this particular problem.

2 Likes

Learning to use different programs is like learning languages, it takes time to understand the codes when you come from different roots. :wink:
The truth is that it is much faster to use the keys than to search for the tool. Now knowing the "pronunciation" there is no problem to communicate with the tool :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

As a side matter, since the introduction of touch bars I've remapped the capslock key to escape, and that makes this particular operation much easier :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

1 Like

As one of those people, I would really appreciate some larger control handles for these vector points. I have a high resolution Wacom drawing tablet and it’s still very difficult for me to manipulate these control handles in Hype. In Adobe Illustrator, there are several preference settings that enable you to manipulate the size and interaction radius of these control handles. Adding something similar to Hype would help alleviate this pain point.

Oh, that's an interesting feature of Illustrator! I've filed this, thanks!