Photics-Physics-Bridge – Name The Function

What do you prefer as the name of the Photics-Physics-Bridge for Tumult Hype?

• PhoticsPhysicsBridge
  • PhPhB
  • mjs
  • ppb
  • hypePhysics

0 voters

Right now, the “Photics-Physics-Bridge” is named after Matter.js

function mjsVelocity (e, xSpeed, ySpeed) {
    Matter.Body.setVelocity(hypeDocument.getElementProperty(hypeDocument.getElementById( e.id ), "physics-body"), {x: xSpeed, y: ySpeed});
    }

Yet, I hesitate to call it that, as it’s not exactly Matter.js — It’s shorthand between Hype and Matter.js. What would you prefer to call it?

____Velocity

Too short, it might collide with something else. Too long, it’s too confusing and longer to type.

Alternatively…

Do You Like The Idea of the Photics-Physics-Bridge?

• Yes, it’s totally necessary.
  • Nah, I don’t need it.

0 voters

Hmm… not much insight with this poll. It’s surprisingly split.

I didn’t want to call it ppb because it didn’t sound cool enough, but the corona virus pandemic introduced me to a new acronym… PPE.

If that’s good enough for professionals, such as doctors and firemen, then it’s good enough for me!

So, here’s the naming convention…

ppbVelocity(e, xSpeed, ySpeed);

I think that’s easier to type than what’s done with Hype. For a while, I was wondering why I would even bother with this. Heh, then I looked at my notes and saw the word — RADIANS! :laughing:

It’s totally needed.

Does anyone still want this? It's in a very usable (but still kinda early) state right now, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle to manage a GitHub Repository.

Would You Use The PPB (Photics-Physics-Bridge)
  • Yes — launch it already
  • No
  • I don't know

0 voters

The PPB is basically shorthand for the Tumult Hype Physics API. I don't know why this isn't native. It seems like changing something like the Velocity should be a one-liner, which is exactly how it is with the Matter.js API... https://brm.io/matter-js/docs/classes/Body.html

For one file projects you can just add a repository (enable the readme.md and LICENSE in that step) and maintain the file online like a blog post (add file). No need for a Git client (push and pull etc.). It's that easy and JsDelivr gives you a free CDN. For more you can always use GitHub Desktop or go full Terminal but the point was… it can be easy if you want it to be.

To keep the runtime small, I guess. Maybe in Hype 5 … after chopping out IE support some room emerges? I'd like Hype 5 being a modular hub anyway offering extensions and Matter could be a preinstalled extension one could disable (in the GUI and runtime exports it would free up space if disabled) or enabled with all the bells and whistles and an great API support.

1 Like

Well, maybe it's more about popularity. I don't feel like starting a repo, then maintaining it, if only like 5 people are going to use this. :smile:

If you build it, they will come (and I will share it to our vast global audience)

:sound:

I think I'll launch it next week, but not on GitHub. I'll just put it on my website.

1 Like