Optimizing Ads for Sizmek

Clients often ask for a K size limit on assets when turning work in. I understand that sometimes, some of the files like plists and js, need to be large to serve their purpose with the animation. How does one get around this?

Also, we in the office uses the website Sizmek to publish media to clients. When uploading a banner, Sizmek won’t accept a file, and I am having difficulty pinpointing which file it is. It may be because I deleted a few of the files prior to uploading to Sizmek because they were over the K size limit.

Hype has been used for Sizmek ads so it is possible to get it to work. I just created a basic one and was able to get it working (at least I could preview the ad in the system) without needing to remove any files but I did need to add the EBLoader.js file.

These files are not likely necessary:
*-restorable.plist
blank.gif
PIE.htc

But as I said I was able to get them working with those; can you elaborate on the error it is giving you and also the steps that you are using to export/upload? I might be able to reproduce that way.

We’re making an effort to work better for advertisers and ad networks, so feel free to also shoot me an email (jonathan at tumult dot com) to elaborate on your needs.

Thanks a lot. I found I can upload assets to Sizmek now under the size limit, but when I click Preview or Save, the attached message pops up. This pertains to the EBLoader you mentioned, which is odd considering I never had to include any file like that in my previous banner.

In my testing, I simply use this code in the Head HTML and it gets past the check:

<script type='text/javascript'>
		function initEBFromHype(){
			if (!EB.isInitialized()){
			}else{
			}
		}
		if('HYPE_eventListeners' in window === false) {
			window.HYPE_eventListeners = [];
		}
		window.HYPE_eventListeners.push({'type':'HypeDocumentLoad', 'callback':initEBFromHype});
	</script>
	<script type='text/javascript'>
		function sizmekDummyInteractions(){
		}
	</script>

Hi,
I am jumping on this topic as I am new to Hype, I am actually from the print world :wink:

I have the same K size issue on Sizmek, however I would like to use the Sizmek shared Hype librairies (https://secure-ds.serving-sys.com/BurstingcachedScripts/libraries/hype/466/HYPE-466.full.min.js).

I am new to this and the help Sizmek provides (https://support.sizmek.com/hc/en-us/articles/206566866#hype) is I guess for an older version.
I can’t find or figure how I could link this shared librairies.

Instead of using the shared libraries, I could also add the .js code in the head I guess, but I am not certain it will pass the check.

Thanks for your help.

Johnathan,

ist this script still working in 2017?

in the API from Sizmek I have 3 parts I need to get together:

Initializing the API

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://secure-ds.serving-sys.com/BurstingScript/EBLoader.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">
    function checkInit() {
              if (!EB.isInitialized()) {
                 EB.addEventListener(EBG.EventName.EB_INITIALIZED, onInit); 
                 // This code checks whether the EB object is initialized, if the object is initialized, it launches the function "onInit", otherwise "EB_INITIALIZED" event. 
              }
              else {
                      onInit();
               }         
               function onInit() {
                     // Place your code to start the ad flow here
              } 
     }
     window.addEventListener('load', checkInit);
</script>

and then I need an clickthrough:
EB.clickthrough();

and my head is not connecting the dots. :slight_smile:

So after a few hours doing different things I added it up to the following outside of Hype:

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://secure-ds.serving-sys.com/BurstingScript/EBLoader.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
	function initEB(){
		if (!EB.isInitialized()){
			EB.addEventListener(EBG.EventName.EB_INITIALIZED, startAd);
		}else{
			startAd();
		}
	}
	function startAd(){
		document.getElementById("300x250kanganewssizmek4_hype_container").style.visibility = "visible";
	}
	function handleBannerClick(){
		EB.clickthrough();
	}
</script>

And changing the standard div in an exported Hype.document.

<body onload="initEB();">
	<!-- copy these lines to your document: -->

<div id="300x250kanganewssizmek4_hype_container" onclick="javascript:handleBannerClick();" style="margin:auto;position:relative;width:300px;height:250px;overflow:hidden;" aria-live="polite">
	</div>

<!-- end copy -->
  </body>

This method works for me, but it results in chancing the banners on export manually. Not really a template in Hype.

2 Likes

A million thanks. You posted this solution 3 minutes before we needed it. Works perfectly. Sending positive karma your way.