Hi folks! I'm looking for thoughts from people who have used or are familiar with the various family of Google-owned ad products.
As you may be aware, Tumult makes Export Scripts available which can help automate the creation and packaging of ads for google platforms. Currently we have three export scripts for Google ad products:
- DoubleClick Studio
- DoubleClick Campaign Manager
Google has rebranded all of these services, so the names are a bit defunct. Further, Google has combined and remixed several services. A lot of the branding overlaps from the various families of ad products Google has developed and acquired over the years.
I am looking to update the Export Scripts naming and potentially functionality to match current realities. Since we're experts on creative tools and not google ad products, I'd like to use some collective wisdom to make sure everything is refactored correctly.
If I were to put relevant ad products in a "tree" form, my basic understanding is that it would look something like this:
Google Marketing Platform: previously DoubleClick
Display and Video 360: a new unifying platform
Google Campaign Manager 360: previously DoubleClick Campaign Manager
- Studio: previously DoubleClick Studio
- Google Campaign Manager 360: previously DoubleClick Campaign Manager
- Google Ad Manager: previously DoubleClick for Publishers and DoubleClick Ad Exchange
- Display and Video 360: a new unifying platform
- Google Ads: previously AdWords
- Google AdMob: just AdMob before
Frankly, I'm uncertain this is the right way to map it. To make matters a bit complicated, several of these platforms seem to share ad formats.
- Studio, Google Campaign Manager 360, Display and Video 360, and Google AdMob seem to be able to use the current DoubleClick Studio export script. This uses the
- Google Campaign Manager 360, Display and Video 360, Google Ad Manager, seem to be able to use the DoubleClick Campaign Manager export script. These use a
At least, that's what I can gleam from the documentation!
A simple renaming of Export Scripts would map to the new products:
- DoubleClick Studio → Google Studio
- DoubleClick Campaign Manager → Google Campaign Manager 360
- AdWords → Google Ads
This is the most straight forward way to rename on our end, but it is clear to folks who use these products?
I'm worried about:
- The export scripts can apply to other products, not just the ones they are named after
- Folks may still be more familiar with the old names of products
- Even some of these names aren't exacting... Google calls it "Studio" but this name conflicts with their other "Data Studio" ad-related product!
If you have any thoughts on Google's Ad format naming, thoughts on this post, or thoughts in the past when you tried to download export scripts and were confused, please let me know!