No Video when orientation changed on mobile device

Hi everyone,

I’m having a problem where the video I’m playing (in fullscreen) will display a black screen (with video controls) and pause when orientation is changed on my mobile device. The video plays just fine if I don’t rotate the device but once I do, it pauses, goes to another scene or continues playing with only audio depending on the browser I’m using. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

I’m not able to generally reproduce with a simple document or one with multiple layouts. Any chance you could attach a zip of your .hype document and include any instructions to navigate to the video in question? It’d also be useful to know which mobile device, browser, and OS version you’re testing on.

Hi Jonathan,

Here are the devices I’m testing on:
iPhone X, iPhone 7, iPad Air 2 all running iOS 11.4.1.
Samsung Galaxy S8 and S9 running Android 8.1

The issue occurs on all these devices when the video is playing and then device is rotated.

Here is a sample of the Hype Doc.

.Site Demo.zip (2.0 MB)

Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for the help though!

Here was the fix.

The Problem:
When orientation was switched, a Layout change was being triggered for the same scene. I still wanted the scene change to happen but the video wasn’t visible.

Solution:
Selected the video and created a persistent symbol to move the video file reference a layer up to the document level. This made the video a constant regardless of scene changes and now only pauses when orientation changes (which is fine) and plays without video loss.

2 Likes

Glad you figured it out!

I’ve filed to see if there’s a way it can be handled better.