No audio after WKWebview returns from background

Just when I thought everything was running smoothly, I found out that in iOS 15 my app(s) no longer has audio when returning from the background.
You have to fully close and restart again for the audio to reappear.
I'm using wad.js for the audio. Play sound directly from within Hype has no problem.
It might have something to do with this message:

[ProcessSuspension] 0x108eea550 - ProcessAssertion: Failed to acquire RBS assertion 'WebKit Media Playback' for process with PID=5272, error: Error Domain=RBSServiceErrorDomain Code=1 "(originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit AND originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.multitasking.systemappassertions)"

or this one:

UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=(originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit AND originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.multitasking.systemappassertions)}

These errors have not occurred before.
I have searched the net, but couldn't find a solution that works.

macOS has no problem like this.
Could anyone shine a light on this?

I'm not sure why wad.js would specifically be different as it looks like they are using the Web Audio API similar to Hype. Maybe you have unchecked "Use low latency Web Audio API" in your Hype document? (Hype may sometimes automatically disable this as well if it can't quite figure out if the environment supports it, like if you're loading from a file URL)

Other than this, my shot in the dark would be wondering if you've added the UIBackgroundModes Info.plist key with an array with an audio string entry?

I did some internet sleuthing and it sounds like there was a similar bug in iOS 13 but that one at least got fixed a while ago.

I didn't.

I didn't.

I'll keep on searching.
Thanks for responding.

Have you tried adding them,

Not had a chance to look but the are media configs that may need to be set to enable proper resume

But not sure if any of that applies here.

The issue may just go away with further updates. I did see some people talking about sound degradation with a similar bug.

I remember a coupe of years ago I was having this and could not figure it out but it stopped doing it after about six months

I'll keep on looking for a solution, leave it for what it is at the moment and hope for better times in the near future.

It looks like it has been fixed in Xcode 13.2 (13C90)
Feeling Happy!

4 Likes