Make searching through everything in Hype (JavaScripts and Objects and their properties) easier

These are requests for improving Hype as a designing and programming environment.

I am working on a project with more than 20 internal JavaScript functions within Hype 4 and more than 50 more external JavaScript functions in 15 external files.

I work on the external files with Eclipse, which also manages the php files necessary for connections to a server and a database.

I am used to a programming environment like Eclipse with sophisticated search functions.

The problem I have repeatedly is “Where is this JavaScript function f used?” (usually f is defined eternally, but used in the JavaScripts for buttons and objects within Hype.

1. What do you want to see in Hype?
    (1a) I want to be able to search through all JavaScripts in the Resources Library at once (could not figure out if this is possible - I can filter the Resources, but only by name, not by content - I can search through one JavaScript function in Hype, but only if it is open.

That means I have to open all my 20 JavaScripts and search in every single one of them just to find out, if my external JavaScript function f is used there.

(1b) A similar problem I have with objects and their properties. As an example today I realized that it is better to use “Ignore all pointer events” in most of the objects, groups and symbols.
How do I find quickly all objects, groups of objects and symbols, which have this property unchecked (without looking by hand into every one of them)

(1c) Very similar to (1b): I am adding a “Unique Element ID” to an object. If the ID was used before, I am getting a warning
“Unique Element ID is already used by unnamed instance ()”
My scene has 50 objects. Which one do I check without wasting time?

1. Have you found a workaround for this problem?
    No.
    But a workaround for the JavaScripts would be to create an external function for each internal JavaScript function. Say within Hype you create an action saying “call this JavaScript function g”. Then g is created within Hype. I could just create an external function ext_g(hypeDocument, element, event) and then do all the programming externally in ext_g.
    That would solve the search problem (1a) for me (but not for users using Hype only).

2. Are there examples of other apps with this feature? Or, have you seen examples of this elsewhere on the web? (Please include a URL)
    (this is not a feature request of the result of Hype 4 - it is a feature request how to better work with it)

3. How high of a priority is this for you?

[ ] Nice to Have
[ X] Important
[ ] Can’t use Hype without it

If I would use Hype 4 on a daily basis, it would be “Can’t use Hype without it”.

1. How would a solution look like:
    (5a) Make all JavaScripts in Ressources searchable with one command.
    (5b and c) A search in Hype should be possible across everything - all javascripts, all objects (e.g. find all objects using a certain css class) etc.
    A simple solution would be a text based representation of everything in Hype, which I could search through with a normal text editor.

Thank you for considering this.
Emanáku,

2 Likes

Hype-JS-Functions: You can edit any of them in an external Tool. Right-click -> edit in

This offers the possibility to do a search on those as a bunch in this external editor …

2 Likes

Although I to would like to be able to do a search in Hype.
In fact similar to how Xcode search for string works in its navigator.
Where it can search all code and or objects.

2 Likes

Thanks for the request - definitely having the ability to do a global search would be a huge benefit to all documents, especially larger ones.

2 Likes

Thank you, Hans-Gerd - this is definitely a workaround, that works (I tried it)!

1 Like

to consider: in case you close your hypefile and the scripts are opened in an external editor, further changes will not apply to the hypefile until you reopen the scripts from hypes menu …

2 Likes