Interactivity On Page Slows Down After Awhile Or Over Time

Before I post any files or links relating to this topic, I wanted to ask about performance in a more general way and see if anyone else has noticed this issue. The issue is that I’ve put up a portfolio, with about a dozen scenes, scene transitions, interactive buttons, external interactives loaded into a portfolio scene through iframes, animated gifs, but it runs perfectly (all of the imported assets have preload unchecked) as soon as the page is loaded.

But if I leave the page up, and go do other things, maybe even leaving the page up for hours or days, and then I go back to that page, without reloading it, suddenly everything responds as if dipped in Molasses (super slow). When I reload, no problem, it’s back to normal.

I tried to search for other references to this topic, and I did read the one about animations getting out of sync if tabbing away in a browser, but I didn’t find anything that seemed to fully address this issue, which I feel like I’ve noticed in the past, but haven’t felt the need to mention it previously. I wanted to create a heading that would come up if anyone in the future searches for this topic.

Just as one example, a mouseover on a button that makes a timeline animation play, no longer taking 10/100’s of a second, but seeming to take 1 or 2 seconds upon mouseover. I also think the slow down becomes more pronounced the longer the page has been up without reload.

There may be some answer from Team Hype, but I also just wondered if any other user had experienced this, knows what I’m talking about.

I could be wrong, but I haven’t noticed this on other interactive sites that I’ve left open and come back to after hours or days. Don’t know if it’s a consequence of how Hype works or if this does happen with any interactive that uses javascript and I just haven’t happened to have noticed it before.

We’ve received a couple reports over time, but nothing substantial or significantly reproducible. If you have a document that exhibits this behavior please send it (along with browser/device info) and I’d love to try to reproduce.

I have not seen this.

What browser/s do you see this in. Do you get it in just one Browser or others.

Some things to try

  • Do not load these and see what happens..?

  • Looked at the console for the page to see if any errors or print outs are being generated?

Does this only happen when the page is servered from your website.

  • What happens if left in preview via Hype
  • happens if when exported to a local directory and viewed.

Rather than relying on memory, I will try all those variables in the next day or two, and let you know what happens. I’ve been mainly using Chrome to view and test the site.

My first tests is that the console shows no errors in Chrome but, when previewed from Hype into Chrome, after less than an hour I noticed significant slow down. When previewed in Safari, for the same amount of time, I didn’t notice any slow down. I will write more as I have time to conduct more tests.