Importing vectors / working with other software

Hello,

I’m wondering if I can import vectors into Hype, with layers preserved.

Also, I’m wondering if Hype can let me edit the vector I just imported. For example, maybe I decide I want to change the color of the shirt my vector character is wearing.

I’ve tried Insert --> image… and tried inserting a .svg file, but while the file does indeed load, it seems the layers aren’t preserved, everything is seemingly flattened to be a single object, I can’t ungroup things, I can’t split apart the image, the image is bound to its canvas from the original .svg file, I can’t edit/select specific parts of it.

Any help and tips would be appreciated!

2 Likes

I recommend taking a look at the:
Using other apps to edit resources
in the tutorials section at: https://tumult.com/hype/tutorials/
All the best!

1 Like

Did that help?
And Welcome to the Tumult Forums… :+1:

1 Like

Hi!

Thanks for your help. It did somewhat help, but I don’t think Hype can work out for me, since it just really isn’t equipped to handle svg/vector files very well.

Looking forward to re-visiting this when the next version is released!

Thanks again

Hype can’t currently import layered formats or parse vectors to work with its own vector shapes. But this is pretty much the #1 request at the moment :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Can I make a silhouette in Illustrator and modify its vectors from hype?
Should I export it as .SVG and edit it from Illustrator?

Thanks again for your valuable advice.

1 Like

This is a limitation of Hype. If you want to have a vector shape, which can be animated/edited in Hype, then it should be created in Hype — with Hype's vector editing tools.

It's related to what @jonathan wrote previously...

...and...

We're still waiting. :smile:

Thank you very much for your reply

:thinking: I’m sure this feature will create a lot of HYPE. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

We're still waiting. :smile:

in all works I have done with hype I have manually re-traced the original shapes in SVG (where I need to add animation). I've never had any problems, it also depends on the skill in using the tools and I'm quite fast :slight_smile:
Of course, every new option in hype is welcome but in the meantime I work anyway.

love hype, my two cents :smile:

2 Likes

There are two projects on Gumroad:

• Export To Hype (Photoshop Edition)1
  • Export To Hype (Illustrator Edition) 2

1 https://forums.tumult.com/t/export-to-hype-adobe-photoshop-edition/19461
2 This is a **beta-version** and Feedback is welcome. Inline images are not rendered on purpose.
3 Likes

max! this is so cool!!

1 Like

Doh!!! Glad to see this… but not in the Adobe ecosystem… anyway to adapt this for SVG’s as a standalone file type?!?!

From the description it appears it’s a plug-in for corresponding app..?

Correct

Unfortunate, for me.

Hi Max,

I just purchased the Illustrator version of the beta plugin but there are no instructions on how to use it. Can you give us some basics on installation and use? Thanks!

Thank you for the 10 Euro! First, you need to install it into the script folder in your Illustrator. The Illustrator-Version uses the same logic as the Photoshop version. It exports the top layers into layers in a Hype symbol. So, you prepare your file. Some features, line types and so forth are not supported when using it and there are some advanced concerning text or additional file outputs options you probably don't need.

Hi Max,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this doesn’t do what I was expecting it to do. I assumed from the thread where you posted this (https://forums.tumult.com/t/importing-vectors-working-with-other-software/17758/11) that the purpose of the plugin was to export the AI vectors into Hype as editable vectors. Perhaps I’m not using it properly, but it seems to bring in only flattened image files, not editable vectors. I hope you’ll continue to work on a solution for bringing in vectors; I gather from the thread that that is what everyone is hoping for.

Regards,

Duane

That is what I meant.

It will use what Hype offers: Using SVGs as background images. It also offers in the advanced options to embed the SVG's into the rectangles instead of using the default background image. Hype doesn't really support editable vectors apart from the built-in vector tool. That Hype tool only allows for a single path element per vector path layer. Hence, rendering or converting from Illustrator to that format would lead to crazy number of layers and most things in Illustrator would not be able to transfer. I might add a single layer feature at some point that converts a single path in Illustrator to a vector layer, but don't hold your breath.