Hype xAPI (Experience API previously Tin Can API)

Great to know you are supporting this tool. I think it is a truly unique and powerful environment for eLearning development.

Tim Bobo
Left Brain Media, Corporation
http://www.leftbrainmedia.com

1 Like

I added a tutorial to the documentation that illustrates how to use the Run Expression action with a timer. The timer measures the duration a user spends on a scene. (It could measure duration for any activity that you need.) I also convert time in seconds into the ISO time format.

5 Likes

Nice and clear instruction, thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Kind regards,
Maik

1 Like

This looks really interesting. Great work.

From reading the docs this doesn't seemed to fit the use-case of wanting to use Hype for creating SCORM-compliant resources, being more advanced and requiring a separate LRS server. Is that correct?

I work as a software developer alongside a team of Learning Resource Designers who now use RISE (part of the Articulate set of tools)- I've always wanted to recommend Hype for this sort of thing as it's much more flexible, with simple ways to score quizzes and activities and set completion flags on our LMS- Moodle 3.x.

I would love to peruse any example hype projects that users have made with this API, if anyone wants to share..

1 Like

Hi @monks1975.

At the company that I work we design with Rise and Storyline as well. I have the same issue trying to get Hype into the mix of tools. I've managed to include a small set of projects here and there, but it's not officially part of our toolset yet. (The struggle is real!)

@MaxZieb and I are looking at creating an export wrapper for the xAPI projects that an LMS will accept like a 'scorm' package, but I don't know what the functionality could be with the LMS reading data from it for reporting yet.

I'm just thinking on my feet here, but the following could be possible: A scorm wrapper sends a piece of code to the LMS that tells it the activity is now complete. What is that piece of code? I may just ask the people at Rustici Software. That code could be run on completing the project in Hype.

In my opinion, going forward the reporting or learning analytics available in an LMS is minuscule compared to what is available through an LRS with xAPI. To have a sandpit environment in an LRS is free, and you could experiment in the there to your heart's delight. That being said, a completion or pass flag will be necessary for the LMS.

Melissa Milloway also created an article on how to track Rise interactions with xAPI. If you're interested.

I've started working on the last tutorial for using the xAPI extension. Once that is done, I will share the project here so that you can peruse.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Herman

2 Likes

Hi @MaxZieb. I'm exploring the idea of creating an educational game. So I think Hype Reactive Content will serve it well, but I also want to utilise learning analytics with the xAPI export script. So my thinking is that I keep game design in Reactive Content and learning analytics in hypeXAPI. Do you think there will be clashes anywhere that I need to be aware of?

1 Like

I think it should be fine as long as you don't overwrite customData entirely. That still destroys existing reactivity (will be fixed down the line, meaning when customData is overwritten by like hypeDocument.customData = {}, hence a totally new object breaks reactivity, the future fix will automatically reinstate reactivity, setting entire branches or keys is totally fine even now).

2 Likes

This is the 5th tutorial on how to use the Hype xAPI export script.
In this tut we look at how to use, set and change Boolean and number variables. Also how to adjust variables with JavaScript and how one can adjust variables by referencing other variables. Ok, words can't explain. You will have to watch and see.

I'm including the hype doc with all the work done thus far. I removed the video element in scene 2 to make it a little lighter.

A fun fact: the Great White Shark was created in Hype with vector tools.

Have fun!
xAPIHypeExport_Forum.zip (2.9 MB)

3 Likes

A repeat of what I wrote on your YouTube Video:
Thanks for this Herman.
Now that Adobe have completely botched the new version of Captivate, I'm considering moving all my client courses over to Hype.
Obviously, reporting is mission-critical, and although I've been using Hype for quite some time now, It's mainly been for creating HTML5 animation and courses that don't require reporting.
So now the environment is changing, and I need to move.
I'll be checking your GIT repo etc and coming back to the forum. Once again, thanks for your sterling work on this!

BTW have there been any updates to this since you last published?

Hi @ozbassplayer

I've been using it in a non-production environment and works well, but your input in using it will be valuable. If you you have suggestions, we welcome them.

We were considering setting and xml export up so that it imports into an LMS, but many L&D platforms do not support xAPI natively, nor have adopted cmi5. So I decided to put that on hold for now.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1 Like

G'day again Herman.
The LMS systems I was considering were xAPI - savvy(D2L/Brightspace and Moodle etc.).
I'll have to go through your tutorials and do the tests before I hook back again.
I'm totally comfortable with JS and JQuery, I've just forgotten how it all hooks in with Hype.
I'll review my notes from some time back and will yell if I have problems.
Thanks for touching base - much appreciated and great to see that the forum is responsive!
Cheers
JR

Hi John

I'm active in an LMS space called Totara, which is a derivative of Moodle. I did not realise Moodle is active in the xAPI space. THANK YOU!

I will follow up with our vendor to check whether they are bringing all that across.

This is exciting.

Hey Herman.
Don't get too excited - I think the space I work in is D2L/Brightspace, which I do believe is also a Moodle derivative. And it does allow XAPI