Hype video resource

Hello Hype Community,

Does anyone know of a good resource(s) (video tutorials, pdf, etc) which would teach me about how to work with videos in hype to create interactive videos. There are a few resources that I have found, but not much.
Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Like

It would be useful to get a better idea of what you mean by "interactive video." Do you have an example of the type of content you wan to create?

Perhaps it goes without saying, but video files (as in mp4 etc) do not have interactivity features, making Hype's HTML5 a better format for interactivity. If you're looking more for ways to control video from within a Hype document — still have it driven by HTML5 — then there's really a lot of different tasks with different solutions. Some might include pause/play, syncing, seeking, setting up different scenes to have different content, etc. Also where the video comes from matters a lot; if it is youtube sources then the solutions are very different than an embedded mp4 file.

@Jonathan, Thanks for your response. What I am wanting to do is be able to create several different types of interactive content for my clients.

1. Branching videos (choose you own adventure).
  2. Product placement - timed animations that allow the viewer to hover and click on "more info" for example like being able to click the watch the guy is wearing and get more information about it.
  3. Personalised video content that adds the person's name to the video when they click a link
  4. Change views from multiple camera angles.
  5. Interactive showcase - as seen here on my website - 28bells.com
  6. Other types of interactions.
    I realise that most of this requires js knowledge, but I was hoping that someone might be able to connect me with a resource for learning the principles.

This might help you to get started in programming with Hype...
https://photics.com/books/a-book-about-hype/

Combined with this...

...and this...

I recommend placing the videos manually, for greater control.

This might be helpful...
https://photics.com/free-template-tuesday-14-tumult-hype-book/

There are other templates to help you add interactivity. But it sounds like you might want more than static content. For that, you'd probably need to communicate with a web server.

This does video too... Video | Pannellum
...you could plop that right into Hype, leverage the JavaScript API to do all sorts of cool things.

Interactive videos typically require a specialized player (e.g., Camtasia) or overlay to implement the interactivity part. You could make something equivalent in Hype, but the end result would be an app rather than a video. Having tried this, I can tell you the best resources to achieve this goal are in this forum.

Hi Steve,

did you find a solution to make your interactive video? I would like to try something in the same way: play a video on a website and add some buttons on top off the video to control which video get played next? Also, it would be great to be able to show some textfields on top off the video...

May be you can help, it would be fantastic!