Hype + three.js

Yeah, CORS is what I was going to say was probably the issue. There's a big difference in opening files with a file:/// URL vs. a http:// or https:// one. I believe Chrome, Firefox, and Safari all also have some nuance in how they treat it as well.

In fact, this is the main reason why previewing from Hype uses a http:// URL that connects to a webserver embedded within Hype.

If you're just looking for testing locally, I will typically setup a quick server using this python terminal command (first navigating to the folder where the .html file is):

python -m SimpleHTTPServer

Then I preview at http://127.0.0.1:8000. For heavierweight previewing I also will use MAMP.

Thanks Jonathan, that's a really good top tip, many thanks.

1 Like

Hi
I have tried the file and it works fine.
I managed to change some stuff but I can't get my head around how to get it to work on a touch device. I have read the documentation but I can't get it to work?

Anyone have any idea?

The example DBear posted follows the mouse, so to work on touch devices you would need to listen to drag movements (touch + drag). This example uses all methods to control the box.

Hi Daniel
Thanks for your answer. But the link to stack overflow Is broken.
And the example with the cube and the source code is to hard for me to follow since I am not a programmer.
Is there a way to just ad the control part to DBears example file? I tried to change the threeJS library to the one with all the controls but with no luck.

Thanks
Rickard

Since I've been doing a few three.js projects lately, I thought I'd weigh in here with a more update-to-date way of integrating this library into Hype. This method (i.e., ES6 modules) reflects the way three.js (and JavaScript) have evolved lately.

I made a short explainer video to explain this approach. You can find it here.

The code example mentioned in the video is: ThreeJSinHype.hype.zip (336.6 KB)

Updated version: Three.js is revised regularly and normally isn't backwardly compatible so I've included updated (3/29/23) project files here that use three.js-r150:
ThreeJSinHype.hype.zip (336.7 KB)

I have created a follow-up video that describes how to customize and animate three.js shapes in Hype projects. You can find it here.

The code example mentioned in the video is:
ThreejsShapesinHypewAnimation.hype.zip (342.8 KB)
Updated version:
ThreeJSinHype_MultipeShapeswAnimation.hype.zip (350.8 KB)

I have created a further video that describes how to position and animate a three.js camera in Hype projects using the Orbit Controls plugin. You can find it here.

ThreejsCamera_wOrbitControlsandAmbientLight.hype.zip (351.5 KB)
Updated version:
ThreejsCamera_wOrbitControlsandAmbientLight.hype.zip (358.6 KB)

The fourth video in this series goes into more detail regarding how to construct an animation loop in Three.js. It also shows how to use the performance monitor included with Three.js.

ThreeJSinHype_HelloFrames.hype.zip (353.6 KB)

The next video in this series describes how to use textures to add images to Three.js shape primitives. You can find this video here: Hello Textures - YouTube

ThreeJSinHype_HelloTextures.hype.zip (625.2 KB)

The latest video in this series describes how to use a render-on-demand strategy with Three.js worlds included in Hype projects. You can find this video here: Render-On-Demand: How to update Three.js worlds in Hype projects - YouTube

RenderOnDemand_wResizer.hype.zip (268.0 KB)

10 Likes

Bummer the library is so huge, would of been so dope to use this in Display banners.
Do you happen to know if Google accepts Three.js as CDN?

Yes: 托管库  |  Hosted Libraries  |  Google for Developers

2 Likes

Awesome, time to get my Blender skills up to standard and make 3D ads :smile:

1 Like

Very interesting, although I already have enough with 2D animation. :sweat_smile:

When i export the project to a HTML-folder I get the CORS problem. Is there an easy way to fix this? I read about creating a proxy server but for me that is not an easy way :slight_smile:

for easy local testing you can use:

1 Like

Ok thanks!
But what about when i deliver to customer?
Is there an easy way to fix this problem, or is it a server configuration?

needs to run on a serverenvironment

Ahaa so if I run it on a server it would work fine?
Sorry for lame question.

Taking a course in Javascript right now so hopefully I don't need to ask som many "easy" questions later on :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hacked your very helpful example to load an FBX model. No FBX animations yet but that's my aim. Using your guidelines I embedded the necessary three.js modules. I also embedded the FBXLoader usage into World.js since it was call-back based and it was easiest for now. I'm sure someone with more three.js experience could migrate this hackery into a cleaner form. It would be great to have a few more episodes in your "Hello" series to show how to simply load and reuse all the great 3D model assets out there.
ThreejsCamera_wOrbitControlsandAmbientLight_LoadingFBX.hype.zip (1.7 MB)

3 Likes

That’s an interesting idea and certainly a possibility for the future.

1 Like

Updated project files for the solution are now included above :arrow_up:. These examples use the latest three.js version (r150). Note - three.js isn't normally backwardly compatible so you probably shouldn't use the earlier code example anymore.

3 Likes

Three new videos in this series and associated project files are now included in the solution above :arrow_up:.

4 Likes