Hype Animation to Powerpoint Question

This might be a long shot, as I don’t know how many Hype users are also knowledgeable about Powerpoint, but I had this project I was trying to do that has the following objectives and it’s really impossible to find an answer using google, or any powerpoint forums.

I want to create an animation in Hype. Export it with no background (by checking the background transparent option in the document inspector).

I want to import this into Powerpoint. The purpose is to display animations in Powerpoint that are impossible to do in Powerpoint. In this particular instance, I’ve been using a simulated 3D cube rotation, found in another forum thread.

I want to be able to click to have the animation play once, not just have it loop forever when the slide loads.

I want it to have no background so I can put it on whatever bg I have for that slide.

If I import it as a photo, the animated gif comes in without a background but loops forever, cannot control it on click.

If I import it as a video, which is how you can control it on click, via the animation tab, the background is visible, despite having set the document bg in Hype to invisible.

One potential solution would be to have the bg color in Hype set to the same bg color as
in the Powerpoint slide. Except, the color doesn’t match when exported. Eyedropper for bg color in Powerpoint from bg in gif doesn’t really work either, because color changes when animation plays.

Yes, I know PPT sucks, but if anyone wants to try and solve this issue, thanks for the help.

A sample hype doc. with the cube rotation is here, in case you want to use when trying to answer this question.

small_cube_rotation.hype.zip (12.8 KB)

1 Like

I think PowerPoint is OK.

I've used it, but I also use Keynote or just Hype itself. Perhaps that's the problem right there. You don't seem to like using Powerpoint. So, why are you using it? While some customization is necessary, a Hype project could have arrow keys for navigating through scenes and it can go full-screen in a web browser. (That involves JavaScript though.)

Why not just edit the gif (pronounced like the peanut butter) in a different program and turn the looping off?

Maybe use a color that's easier to match... like white or black? Also, maybe there's some color correcting going on. I did some testing of my animation with Annoyed Tomatoes. The export from Hype is not perfect. From what I've seen, the Hype 3.6 update messes with the color. (Trying an older version of Hype, if you've got it, might be something else to try.)

Soooooo... you could export individual frames as png files and then use a different program to create the gif (seriously, it's pronounced like "jif". I'm looking at you Tumult!). That might get you better color matching, as there might be some color profile screwing things up.

I didn't download the attachment, so I don't know what your project looks like. But based on the way the problem is described, maybe this reply is helpful.

1 Like

Why not just simply replace PowerPoint for Hype? everything that is possible to do in PowerPoint is possible to make it in Hype.

I have been doing presentations entirely made in Hype, yet, I found Adobe Flash better suited for presentations since you can export them as app / exe, avoiding any compatibility trouble, the advantage with Hype is that you can run and share the presentation online.

Also, you can render any video as a loop in the background as long as it is in wmv format

1 Like

It’s really not just a gif problem, because I know you can export a png sequence and import it into Photoshop and export as animated gif, and have more control over the colors. It’s probably just a Powerpoint problem. Also, just using white or black doesn’t give much flexibility in a design. Also, to answer your question about why use Powerpoint, it’s not me. Designers don’t always get to choose what programs they use. Of course I’d rather use Hype for everything (love that new self-driving car API in the Hype 4.5 beta!), but the reason for using Powerpoint is that it’s for clients who want something a six month old puppy can use, so they can edit text boxes themselves.

I did find a way to show live webpages in Powerpoint, but it’s not a perfect solution the way it works now.

Hey elcalibano have you figure this one out?
I’d love to create some content with hype for my clients’ ppt presentations.
Thanks

Aleksandar, I can’t remember exactly which software it was that showed live webpages, because I was never able to convince the particular client, for whom I was trying to figure out how to get more sophisticated animations into powerpoint, to do go in that direction —so I kind of stopped playing with it. But a quick web search came up with this link, which I think might be it. Take a look and let me know if any of the advice on this page works for you. I’m hoping to find new clients who have evolved beyond Powerpoint at this time in my life.

Thanks for this. I saw it too. It’s hard asking clients to install suff on their computers.
I love this app but I’m not sure it can benefit me. I can create a lot of designs with it without ‘coding’, which was the reason I got it, but you need code knowledge to implement those designs the way client needs. I’m useless with that.
Anyway thanks again

Here’s one way to get your Hype document into a powerpoint presentation: Once you have your Hype animation hosted, you can use the ‘Web Preview’ add on to show a https enabled page. Select Insert > Add ins > Store and search for ‘Web’

Click add, then you get a form field where you can insert a URL. Insert the full URL of your Hype document (without https in front of it) and select Preview.

Here’s a demo which loads this page: https://tumult.com/hype/gallery/AlphaPod/AlphaPod.html

test-presentation.pptx.zip (2.7 MB)

Another free possibility that works for both Keynote and Powerpoint on the Mac is Liveslides

Thought I should check in to see if hosting each animation on hidden webpages and using a web viewer is still the easiest way to get animations from Hype into either PowerPoint or Keynote?

Having done a number of presentations in Hype alone, it's very clear that there is still a place for presentation software, but the ability to build complex animations in Hype and easily use them in PowerPoint/Keynote would make a huge difference.

I dont have powerpoint but have you googled to how to import html into it.

Seems you can. But not sure how well hype would work

I think an even easier method if you just have a static non-interactive animation is to export as a video from Hype. Keynote doesn't allow any web content and PowerPoint requires an additional add-on to display it. It is probably a large security risk.

Thanks @Daniel - for semi interactive animations like you would give in a presentation (as in you talk about something and hit next at the appropriate time) I have been trying the workaround of breaking the Hype animation into a number of videos. I don't suppose there's an easy way of rendering multiple sequential videos is there?

Personally, I would record one large, unattended video, and then use Quicktime to trim sequences out. (⌘ + t, then drag to select, then 'trim' for each segment). You could add some black space in a fade out at the end of each scene to make it easier to select & trim this way.

In Hype you would need to drag your desired scene representing time=0 to the front of the scene order to capture that as a video individually.

Hi @Daniel, I'm afraid I have run into an issue with exporting via video. With physics I am getting very different behaviour in the recorded video vs a chrome. I'll send a screen recording example to support@tumult.com

1 Like

You may want to just use Quicktime to run a screencast of Chrome if that's the behavior that you expect. Physics does sometimes work a bit wonky in our video rendering metaverse.

Yea, that’s what I did in the end - still a little easier than uploading HTML5 to a server & hoping your connection is good when you come to present.

Hoping Hype 5 will have an export to PowerPoint feature…

1 Like