I’ve just given the fallback feature a go with an ad set in production and wanted to call out a few concerns.
Overall, it’s a very welcome to have support for this, but it falls short in one important area: the optimization of the fallback image is significantly larger than a “normal” fallback image I would create in another tool. One factor is that including an oversized fallback image makes the bundled ad unnecessarily larger, sometimes exceeding the common 150-200k limit.
This is a bit of a gray area since our ad network media partners don’t communicate details on if a fallback image is counted against the maximum ad size allowed, so for years we’ve simply made our fallback images to the same specification used for a static image ad (and in that way they can be used in both contexts). Static ad banners should not exceed 40k, and as always the smallest, best-looking, optimized format is the goal.
Here’s an example of how my process went:
I already had a lossless, optimized PNG of intended fallback content generated from Adobe Illustrator which was ~40k or less, all good-to-go.
If I capture a fallback image within Hype 4 Pro, it’s significantly larger than the optimized version I created when exported as a PNG or JPG. Obviously there are lots of manual options that come with image optimization, so this isn’t surprising given that the feature is very automated and only allows for picking which format is desired.
I assumed that if I replaced the automatically captured fallback image with my fully optimized fallback images Hype would simply use those as is. Instead Hype 4 transcoded those as the designed image format, which is renamed to “poster.xxx”. Where it gets funky is that those poster images were recompressed to twice the size of my original optimized images. In one case this bumped the ad file size over the limit.
I can of course manually hack this by either running all the generated “poster.xxx” images through an optimization “fixer” tool like TinyPNG just before publication, or manually replace the poster images with my own after compiling the ads, but that is actually more work than simply continuing to batch out static fallbacks from the same Illustrator source file I use to concept and create all the sprites/art for the ads in the first place.
In summary, it would be great if this feature improved the built-in image optimization in some way, or did not bloat up and recompress my manually re-assigned fallback images. Otherwise it’s pretty much unusable for large ads that are close to the file size limit already.