Google classified Zip with Hype as malicious

I made an ad in Hype and sent it as a ZIP to the client who is on gmail. The mail would always bounce as it was classified as a security risk.

This is in the raw mail returned by google (bounce)

Subject

Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

In mail body … excerpt.

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 552-5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content
presents a potential 552-5.7.0 security issue. Please visit 552-5.7.0
File types blocked in Gmail - Gmail Help to review our 552 5.7.0
message content and attachment content guidelines. h91-v6si369192edd.31 -
gsmtp

I never had an issue with sending zipped hype file to my gmail account but thats not to say different type of google accounts don’t act differently.

It is probably the js files google do not like.

But since they are already on google maybe set up a Googe Drive share with them. The zips should load up there no problem.

Thank you Mark. I used WeTransfer… only thing are humans. The client (an agency) forwarded it after downloading to the brand marketing team as an attachment. They also got the warning and it puts me in a position to explain that it’s not a virus.

Hope Tumult can resolve this with Google somehow …
or are they trying to promote GWD (Google Webdesigner) this way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I made some tests. And it boils down to the .js extension
If a ZIP-file contains a JS-File it is bounced.

I tested with the runtime and an empty text file called test.js in the ZIP.
Either way it bounces so no conspiracy … :wink: but still annoying!

Types you can't include as attachments

To protect your account, Gmail doesn't allow you to attach certain types of files. Gmail often updates the types of files not allowed to keep up with harmful software that is constantly changing. Some examples include:

.ADE, .ADP, .BAT, .CHM, .CMD, .COM, .CPL, .DLL, .DMG, .EXE, .HTA, .INS, .ISP, .JAR, .JS, .JSE, .LIB, .LNK, .MDE, .MSC, .MSI, .MSP, .MST, .NSH .PIF, .SCR, .SCT, .SHB, .SYS, .VB, .VBE, .VBS, .VXD, .WSC, .WSF, .WSH, .CAB

And… voilà .JS is in that list.

1 Like

Yer thought it was that. And yes that would be annoying as sending .js files is a normal thing.

I think I have had issues with .dmg before which was annoying considering it is a compressed file package in the same respects to zip files. Also if you zip stuff up then you cannot just double click it to run the files inside.

In case of many project (and this one too) inlining the runtime would an option (no IE6789 etc.). I tested it and Gmail doesn’t bounce if the runtime is inlined as well as the hype generated document code (in the HTML). But as manual labor on each export is not an option and the extended export doesn’t offer it… I’ll leave it be at this for now.

Sad, Yeah Gmail is becoming 'trashier' by the day. I guess the other option is just upload it and share a url? :wink:

@petester and @MaxZieb I just ran into this issue today with an ad client (dammit I love this forum and THANK YOU both for your chiming in so this popped up on a google search).

One thing I tried - late last night because I was in a panic, was to export with a script that wrote a physical tag linking to the Hype runtime (adwords and DCM seemed to be the best choices). I removed the “src=…” and copy/pasting the whole runtime into that tag.

It seems to work for letting the client review ads locally. I’m sure there are better solutions out there, but for a quick and dirt, this appears to at least run the ad.

2 Likes