Ghostly presences

I had a pair of foreground and background PNGs in an animation. I opened them in Photoshop, trimmed a burned-in shadow from the background PNG, then cropped it, along with the foreground PNG to match, then saved them (background image saved as JPG).

Because of the change in dimensions I didn’t want to update them in Hype, but replace them, so I told Hype to keep the old versions, then dragged in the new, aligned them, then deleted the originals from the stage. I then tried to delete the originals from within the resources inspector, but it wouldn’t let me do so, as they were supposedly being used. I saved, quit and relaunched. but was still unable to delete the old, and the unwanted items are output along with everything else.

Attached is the animation without the foreground and images and another copy with the new and the ghosts of images past. The third is a new document based on a copy and paste with animations from the second version. This effectively solved the problem .

WWAnimation.hype.zip (145.8 KB)

WWAnimationX.hype.zip (155.7 KB)

WWAnimation2.hype.zip (87.9 KB)

It looks like you have another scene that has the image, and were likely working off of a copy of the scene itself since the scene list is not shown.

I selected and deleted the items from the stage, but I did not immediately delete them from the resources pane.

What I had done was drag the new versions of the images onto the stage, align them, move them into the group, then delete the originals from the stage but not from the resources pane.

At this point I removed the incremented number from the item name in the list at the left.

I think that this change in name might be the cause of the problem. At that point, both versions in the resources pane were claiming ownership of the same object.

To create the correct version, I selected all the items, then copied and pasted them into a fresh document, with keyframes, which caused the resources pane in the new blank document to populate based on what was really there.

I’m not sure I follow. If you open up the Scenes viewer in the document, you can see that the first scene is using those images, and also this would be what shows up in the preview. It appears you are working off the second scene.

If images are dragged into the scene area, they are set to Remove when no longer referenced, so if you deleted the last image or keyframe referencing it, then it would be deleted in the Resource Library. In this case, they are still referenced by the first scene. For example, if you delete the first scene, or just the WWBackground element in that scene, then the WWBackground.png file goes away.

I sent three files. One test file had two scenes (as you found), another (the 2 versions) was the one that (when I was using it) showed the double listing in the resources inspector - that blocked the deletion of the unused original image), and the third in which I took a fresh document and copied>pasted the content and animations.

After downloading these three versions , I see that the “version2” file did not display the double listing and that it was when I was working with it (which included closing and reopening the file and having the same issue). I found that the version I downloaded was identical to the fresh copy-and-paste version (the X version).

I don’t know what was going on but it had nothing to do with the remove unused images check box.

The way things usually work is that if you bring in a replacement and remove the original from the stage, you can immediately delete the reference in the Resources inspector.

What I did this time (along with the impact of phase of the moon, space pixies or whatever) was to delete the images from the stage, then give the replacement images in the left pane ( the scene contents pane) – the same exact file names of their predecessors - and I did this before deleting the original references in the resources inspector. In other words, the names given to the images on the stage were identical to that of their predecessors.

Again - There was only one scene and only the new versions of the files were on the stage (and only the new versions being listed in the scene contents pane at the left) - The new files being given the old namest, both versions being listed in the resources inspector, and an inability to delete the originals from the resources inspector.

I even closed the document and relaunched and the same issue remained.

I went to the above post, downloaded the file in question and it works perfectly - the resources inspector only shows what’s really there. I did the same with the file on my end and the file is fine.

When I changed the name of the new file on stage to the name of the old file, it confused Hype, as it was thinking that both versions in the resources inspector were pointing at the same file. As long as Hype was running, it was somehow holding the wrong data (either in memory or in a cache somewhere). This would be the only reason I can think of why the problem would persist. The only other factor was that I had been using Hype on a range of projects (some being very complex) non-stop for around five hours.

I have since tried to recreate this problem but haven’t been able to. This might have been because of a scheduled computer restart that took place over the weekend.

I spent years as a compensated beta tester for Quark, Corel, and others. There have been a couple of instances over the years where I would encounter a problem, then come back a few days later and not be able to reproduce it. The word I would get back from Quark or whoever would be that it was something about how my machine was handling the data at the time.

This particular case is only the third such case I’ve encountered over a span of twenty years, and since I haven’t been able to reproduce it. This being the case, I’m not going to worry about it and treat it as a fluke.

This had something to do with how my copy of Hype was handling the references. I consider this to be a fluke. Even so, I will avoid changing file names in this way until after deleting the unwanted file from the resources inspector.

Feel free to delete this entire topic. I don’t see any value to other readers.

Thanks for the additional details. There are certain situations where Hype will look at the file itself and determine if it is a duplicate to something already in the Resource Library, so it sounds like there may have been a case where this was hit. (There’s also a few cases users can hit where we may make an unnecessary duplicate). Perhaps there was an issue in the combination of these.